Oodnadatta Track Phone & Internet Coverage

Submitted: Friday, Feb 14, 2020 at 15:26
ThreadID: 139680 Views:4611 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My brother will be travelling with us through the Flinders Ranges & across the Oodnadatta Track this year & needs reliable phone & Internet coverage at least every couple of days. What are his chances?
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SMICK - Friday, Feb 14, 2020 at 16:45

Friday, Feb 14, 2020 at 16:45
Travelling up the Oodnadatta track Maree has service as has William creek, Oodnadatta, Mt Dare and Finke, next stop Alice springs. Before travelling the track get a Pink roadhouse mud map of the track. It has a lot of detail of things to see and do. Make sure you stay at Farina, huge amount of history. Take your time on the track, lots to see. Enjoy. Michael.
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 630052

Reply By: Bandit & Rudi - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2020 at 05:59

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2020 at 05:59
We found service at Maree, William Creek but Optus only, they seemed to have that part of S A covered, if you are camping remote then you might need a sat phone
Cheers Scott
AnswerID: 630122

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Mar 13, 2020 at 18:19

Friday, Mar 13, 2020 at 18:19
While my reply is probably much too late, I can confirm that William Creek and Oodndatta only have Optus cover. As I use internet for communication more that phone, I purchased a $40 Optus USB modem to cover us.

I will add that if your brother needs almost daily coverage a satellite phone and even satellite internet is the only option.

Even within the Flinders Rangers National Park I had no phone cover. Check the coverage maps for each network (which are an indication only and may not have sufficient signal strength) which I have linked from http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/communications.htm
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 630483

Our Sponsors