Replacing Vacuum Toilet System

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 08, 2020 at 08:15
ThreadID: 140343 Views:3135 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our vacuum toilet is causing us a few issues lately (it is 12 yes old), so we are thinking of changing it to another system. We are tossing up between what we call a 'drop' toilet & and an incineration toilet. Has anyone changed their vacuum toilet? What to? Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Laarby - Saturday, Aug 08, 2020 at 09:38

Saturday, Aug 08, 2020 at 09:38
We have recently changed our ‘standard toilet’ to a composting toilet.
It’s very easy to maintain, the use of peat for the composting can cause at times a little ‘earthly’ smell when emptying the urine collector. No other smells are noticeably.
We had a existing SOG connected and the fan wired to the fridge circuit to maintain at all times power for the aeration.
There are 2 major American brands on the market here, very similar, it’s a matter of personal preference. NH has given us excellent service (no affiliation with the distributor)

Cheers,
Marinus
AnswerID: 632868

Reply By: wylaway - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 17:35

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 17:35
Travelling Twosome
After a few years of frustration, I changed my Dometic system about 6 years ago. To minimise the changes to the van, I installed a marine vacuum flush system. This effectively did away with the Dometic vacuum system and replaced the vacuum part of the system with a Sealand J Series vacuum generator. This required the installation of the vacuum generator, modifying the Dometic docking station and re-running the toilet pipe work.

Our toilet is a combo shower/toilet were the toilet bowl outlet pipe goes through the shower wall into an under bench cupboard and the pipe work makes its way up to the docking station and waste tank. In the attached photos you will see the fixed pipe was replaced after the pipe went through the shower wall into the cupboard with a sanitation grade flexible pipe to the inlet side of the Sealand J Series vacuum generator. New fixed pipework was installed to take the waste to the holding tank in the docking station.

The docking station had to be modified to no longer generate a vacuum and the existing circuit board had to be replaced to tell the docking station of the changes to the on-board sensors. The red, amber, green control still works as previously and the waste tank is unchanged in its operation. The only real change is the new vacuum generator and the disabling of the old vacuum generator.

The J Series has its own holding tank, so that while the waste is sucked into the J Series tank by the vacuum, it also pumps the waste to the Dometic waste tank in a single process.
I had this work done by Marine Sanitation in Hasting on Western Port Bay, Victoria. Geoff or Marcus could talk you through the options. One option was I could do the work myself and they would supply the parts and you send them the docking station for the modifications, or as I did, I had them do the whole job. I also had them service the toilet and increase the highest of the pedestal with an insert under the bowl.

Now none of this will be cheap as I see on the internet the unit is $2,150, plus piping, modification to docking and if you choose labour.

Incidentally, every 4.5 – 5 years you will need to replace the “duckbill valves” which stops the vacuum from leaking out. Took me about 2 hours and was a little messy, but straight forward.

Peter

AnswerID: 633025

Our Sponsors