Dometic Front load washing machine.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 17:45
ThreadID: 142707 Views:3105 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.
We had originally, 5/2010 top load washing machine installed. It did not last long due to out of balance problems. Bushtracker installed a Dometic WMD 1050, which we were happy with because we could leave the washing machine operating while away from the van with no out of balance problems.
Recently it has become very noisy, obviously bearing noise. I have taken the machine apart to find one of the bearings has rusted due to the seal lip rolling over. These seals are common to several brands so no problem and the bearings are easy to source. A fix is on the way.
I am concerned with the concrete counterbalances attached to the front and rear as both have cracked through. I have not removed them for fear of falling apart.
Does anybody have any knowledge of a fix, without taking apart.
I thought about wrapping a piece of shrink wrap around the affected area and applying the heat gun to draw it in. The concrete counterbalance clearance to drum is small but I think it is doable.
What experience have others had and any knowledge would be appreciated.
I have checked Google and it appears to be a probelm in general even to home front loaders without the wear and tear of corrugated roads.
Regards Ponce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SMICK - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:08

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:08
Gday Ponce.
I fitted a dometic front loader, in aluminium box, on draw bar in 2005. We spent 11 years fulltime on the road, going too and over some very inhospitable terrain. The only problem we had was the door seal going moldy. If your weights have cracked I don't think wrapping in shrink wrap would work. Thinks you may have to source new ones, maybe shrink wrap them and refit. P.S. our machine still works.
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 638270

Reply By: Gareth J - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 15:25

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 15:25
https://www.bushtrackerownersgroup.asn.au/forum/142311/washing-machine?p=%2fforum%3fpn%3d2

Try this link Ponce, there are pictures posted of a fix, unsure if it's similar to your problem.
AnswerID: 638271

Reply By: Ponce - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 17:53

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 17:53
Thanks Smick and Gareth.
I believe Bushtracker modify the Camec so the springs remain attached to the drum. If this is the case Gareth and they were modified, I wonder why they part company and surely that is a warranty issue with Bushtracker them selves. Can you shed some light on this please Gareth?
Smick, I am so concerned with the counterweights falling apart I am now considering a Bushtracker install of the Camec, but in light of Gareth comments I wonder.
The Camec is 4kg and the Dometic is 3kg capacity!!!
More inquiries will be made.
Regards Ponce.
AnswerID: 638273

Follow Up By: Gareth J - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 08:59

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 08:59
G'day Ponce.
We personally do not have this machine in our van. After reading your post, it reminded me of one I had read earlier, this was the link I posted.Sorry I can't be of anymore assistance, but may I suggest you contact the OP or it's contributors?
Hope this is clear and helpfull.

Regards.

Gareth.
FollowupID: 916643

Reply By: Ponce - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 17:30

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 17:30
Hi,
After inquiries and research we have decided to have a Camec 4kg installed by the factory next year. The Camec certainly has some problems with the springs pulling away from the drum but it is 4kg capacity compared to 3kg of Dometic.
The Dometic has by far a better drum suspension with springs on top and shock absorbers on the bottom of the drum, but my concern is with the counterbalance weights, which are no longer available as a spare part.
Bushtracker assure me the position of the washer in our van will suite the Camec. After reading reviews about the service offered by Camec is concerning, only time will tell.
Regards Ponce.
AnswerID: 638276

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 22:04

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 22:04
Gday Ponce it’s been a few years since you scared the bejezus out of us in Mitchell Park ..hope all is well.

Regards the washer … if all else fails .. there’s always a laundromat haha .. though Vickie won’t use them … something about people washing dogs blankets and soiled sheets . Eww lol
FollowupID: 916649

Follow Up By: Bob n LynH - Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 12:27

Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 12:27
It's called a 4kg washer, but most cycles are only suitable for 2kg. Check the 'manual' first!
FollowupID: 917549

Reply By: Rick V - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 15:29

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 15:29
I was always of the opinion that we didn't need a washing machine in the van. My wife pretty well agreed with me. When we bought our second Bushtracker, we decided to install the Camec 4 kg front loader. We, code for wife, was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked and how well it washed the clothes to the extent that we are now getting rid of our speed queen washing machine at home and buying a front loading machine. All those other ones you see that stick on walls and underneath beds etc we think are not worth the trouble or expense. We have done about 30,000 kms, about half on dirt/corrugated roads, with no problems.
Rick
AnswerID: 638710

Follow Up By: Ponce - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 18:02

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 18:02
Rick V,
Thanks for that information. Our Dometic has now found a new home and we look forward to the install of the Camec next year at Bushtracker HQ.

Regards Ponce.
FollowupID: 917364

Our Sponsors