GENERATORS

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:39
ThreadID: 119767 Views:5507 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Is anyone able to offer advice on a generator that will run the Electrolux CAL136 AC as fitted to Bushtracker vans? Mine has a nameplate rating of 1.6kW heating and 1.2kW cooling. Electrolux say (thanks Pete aka Motley) the Honda EU20i will not start it but the EU30i will however this is a big and heavy machine. Not to be lugged around by graying nomads. The Honda is very quite and seems to be the logical choice. Conventional generators run at a constant 3000rpm regardless of the load which translates to 50hz in a two pole alternator. The inverter method of engine control matches the engine speed to the power output with the 50hz being synthetically(or electronicly) created so that at half rated load the engine is rotating at half the full load speed. This is one of the reasons they run more quietly. Yamaha do make an inverter generator but Yamaha Motors Australia do not import them into Australia. This unit is called the EF2800I. I quizzed them about this and they had one for evaluation and their web site does not have it listed yet. The physical size of this unit is ideal but it is probably not as quiet as the Honda. I intend to carry my generator on a frame at the rear which will also carry two his and hers pushbikes. Preventing theft is a problem (or at least minimising it). It's not just theft of van contents but the whole van can be stolen. Insurers will tell you van theft is on rise. Bushtrackers are valuable machines and I suspect will be targetted more and more. After all a caravan is the easiest thing in the world to steal........ask a lot of boat trailer owners. I have a few ideas about how to minimise the chance of theft and will gladly share these with anyone by email. I heard the story of a caravanner who was running on his brand new Honda generator watching TV at night. When he went to stop the machine he found somebody had swapped it for their old crappy thing. Plenty of low lifes out there and the law says you can't shoot em. I think van/content theft would make a good discussion topic for someone with some experience happy or otherwise....any takers. Remember....keep away from the bitumen and BOG on fellow BOGGERS. Nomad Thought for the day:- Is it all we see or seen.....all but a dream within in dream. [Thanks to E.A.P.]
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:41

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:41
G'Day Nomad.
By the way, at least 3 other vanners told us the story about the swapped generator. Did'nt the bloke see the TV and lights go off when the unit was swapped??
We have been running a Honda EU20i for 18 months and running the air in very hot conditions. The mathmatics say it will not do the job but we know 2 other vanners with same setup.
Air con is Electrolux CAL136.302
Current 1.4 Kw
Load 5.1 + 1.6 = 6.7 amp
We tested with load meter and could only read <6 amp on load.
Regards......Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558037

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:42

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:42
Further to your location for the generator.
Ever followed a van, even a Bushtracker, along a badly corrugated road?
This area jumps around more violently than the 'A' frame where most mount such items.
We also had the misfortune of having a truck bullbar nudge the rear of the van. Only minor damage but changed my mind about carrying stuff there.
regards......Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558038

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:43

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:43
I should have looke at your photo first.
We saw a similar arrangement on "another brand" out of Qld.
It was made to carry 2 spare wheels.
It snapped off going up the Gibb River Rd to Old Mornington track.
The stresses also cracked the van chassis at the rear.
Regards.....Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558039

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:44

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:44
Well with 12 volts lights and TV, I guess it would be invisible.
AnswerID: 558040

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:45

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:45
Yes it is a suck it and see thing for me but I have constructed it well and intend to shift the generator to the load area if things look bad. I do not have enough room on the A frame as I have fitted a twin tub washer and a good size tool box there as well as water tank filling device....no room left.
AnswerID: 558041

Our Sponsors