Weight Distribution Hitches

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:31
ThreadID: 119771 Views:4801 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We started to use weight distribution gear when we purchased the F250 (previous vehicle Patrol 4.2 T/D) as it was included with the Ford factory supplied tow kit.
It looks like Hayman Reese gear and works extremely well.
I am now a total convert. Vehicle tows "flatter" and pitching is considerably reduced. We have tested with and without over same roads.
I had to modify the 'A' frame by extending the flat plate at the junction of the beams. This extension piece was reinforced and galvanised.
You can also fit W/D gear by re-locating jockey wheel.
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeff & Melba - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:33

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:33
We also fitted W/D gear to the bush tracker, even after the guys up north insisted it was not at all nessesary, First onto the old patrol and then the new. With a little playing with things around the A frame, mainly the jockey wheel and front tap, it worked like a charm. so good even turist gave it a go...... AB for Jeff.
AnswerID: 558044

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:34

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:34
turist and jeff, was the fiddling with the a-frame and jockey wheel etc to fit the WD hitch necessary because you dont have the extended drawbar? or would it still be necessary if the draw bar was extended like graham and andy have done? Angie
AnswerID: 558045

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:35

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:35
Maybe you would not have a problem with an extended drawbar.
It is a good idea to have it about 300mm longer than 'standard' as it gives more flexibility for future additions, jerry can holders etc.
We are having our jockey wheel mounting plate bolted to the a frame instead of welded so that we can relocate if required. This change needs to be ordered before your chassis is built.
After giving BT our request it is now being strongly considered as a 'standard' for new production.
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 558046

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:36

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 00:36
Because Steve has towed with an F350 and now a truck he does not believe in Weight Distribution hitches. I have tried to tell him that the purpose of them is to tranfer weight from rear wheels to front and hence get better steering and braking and in doing so better stability for the whole rig. He still doesn't believe in them. They were reluctant to change to plate that the hitch bolts to so i had a local trailer builder do it by extending it forward 100mm and reinforcing it underneath with another piece of flat welded to it. The jockey wheel support was cut off and welded on again further back to allow for the W/D hitch brakets to fit on the drawbar. Obviously Ford beleive in them because with an F250 you can only tow up to 2270kg without a hitch and 3500kg with one.
I wouldn't tow without one and have also found no restriction to towing off road as well.
Brian.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558047

Our Sponsors