changes to your set-up

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:09
ThreadID: 119775 Views:11551 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This discussion is mainly aimed at those who have had vans already built but feel free to throw your two-bobs worth in everyone. 1)What changes would you make to your van/rig if you had the chance to re-design it from scratch? 2)Is there anything that you would not be without in your van/rig? 3)Is there anything you would omit if you were re-designing? Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:20

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:20
Angela the following is a list of stuff you will have to look at. Seeing you like piccies, I will put some pics in a album later to further illustrate whats below:- Internally A good size mirror to check on how old(or young) you're looking. Towel rack. Get a good quality double rack made of brass 600mm wide. The brass colour matches the tassie oak wood panelling on our van. Clothes hooks. I installed one hers for SWMBO side and one for my side. Both are double brass . Tea towel racks. I have a wood one above the sink on the wall next to the fridge and a brass one on the wood panel at the entrance adjacent to the stove. People find it handy to use as a hand grip when climbing the steps. Some have a range hood Various 12v Hella sockets for electronic gadgets and at least one cigarette lighter socket to charge a mobile phone. A remote switched hot water unit is a must have. I have modified the area under the bed above the front storage area with an extra shelf. A secret storage area up the front to keep your valuables. If you want details of this I will email you.(just to keep it a secret) A wall clock about 100mm diameter mounted somewhere to be visible from all directions. Trouble is I can't find a suitable one.....any over there? Externally A good sized lockable toolbox mounted on the A frame to keep stuff like an axe, shovel, bar springs, tow hitch, jocket wheel, etc etc,etc. Much more convenient to get at than the storage area. I have 2x12v Hella sockets and a TV socket mounted in a box on the annex wall. I can setup the TV there. I carry a good quality ($100) portable 12v fluro which I can use externally as the annex light is not all that bright. I got this at the BNE caravan show. You will need to carry a 6ft light aluminium step ladder. The solar panels have to be kept clean and the roof of BT is a long way from the ground. Thats about all I can think of at the moment......hope it's not too confusing? Nomad
AnswerID: 558065

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:21

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:21
thanks nomad for the list. some i hadn't thought of there. would be pleased to see some pictures when you get the time. where did you put the towel rail? found this picture of a clock on a US camping site. thought it was appropriate for keeping an eye on time when you are travelling. also where do you store the ladder. 6 foot is quite long and probably wouldnt fit in the hold i would imagine. angie
AnswerID: 558066

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:22

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:22
love the clock. I store the ladder on the rear frame with the generator and the his and hers pushbikes. It would be OK to carry it across the A frame behind the stone guard shield somehow I expect or even in/on your vehicle. I use pushbike steel rope type locks to prevent theft. These are good for securing your LPG tanks also. It wont fit in the hold. I got mine 120kg rated made in China from Bunning hardware for $80. Most cheapies are 100kg rated or less.It is "Gelong Ladders" branded Nomad
AnswerID: 558067

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:23

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:23
Further to Nomads suggestions.
The large linen cabinet door in the ensuite can be fitted with a 'plastic' mirror panel instead of the standard frosted white.
If you are having the newer larger ensuite with wash basin get a hatch fitted under the wash basin, lots of storage there.
Get a recessed toilet roll holder from Whitworths marine and have it fitted next to the this hatch. They are waterproof, the Tetford paper holder will not take full size roll and is not waterproof.

And to Nomad.
Dick Smith have a digital clock with internal and external temp gauges, battery operated, may suit your purpose.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558068

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:24

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:24
Thanks Turist, I will do as you suggest, great idea. The Thetford toilet holder is useless. I will check out the digital clock with trickydickie although my preference is an analog but we will see. Nomad
AnswerID: 558069

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:25

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:25
one other thing angie is get a Fiamma plactic stool for about $25. You'd be surprised how often you will use. My wife sufferes a bit from ducks disease and she uses it a lot. Nomad
AnswerID: 558070

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:26

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:26
thanks turtist and nomad for continuing to post good suggestions. a couple of questions if i may: 1) how watertight is the cabinet in the ensuite. is it really that good? 2) is it at all possible to find some way of preventing water from getting all over the toilet? is there room to put in a shower curtain rail at all in the ensuite? 3) can you post a photo of the recessed toilet roll holder from whitworths. on their site they have no pic available 4) is the plastic mirror something that bushtracker have as an alternative, or do we need to find our own and fit it? i think that is it for now. any photos of course would be gratefully received. you guys are doing great in that area. keep it up. angie
AnswerID: 558071

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:27

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:27
for everyone, another couple of things that have been raised with me off line to think about in the van are: 1) a foam overlay on the mattress makes the bed just that little bit better 2) be careful where you position the CD stacker etc so that the remote can be used (apparently difficult from the bed if the CD stacker faces into the van) if i get any more tips off line i will share them angie
AnswerID: 558072

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:28

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:28
Answers for Angie
Don't worry about getting water over the toilet. When your finished
drying off wipe over with the towel. Keeps it nice and clean.
Sorry no photo of the bog roll holder, I sent mine up to BT for fitting.
It just looks like a white plastic door anout 150mm square, hinged at
the top.
Bushtracker have the mirror as a $50 option.
I always keep it up Angie and how about the photo.
I hear rumours that your coming back early.
Sydney van show, the biggest & best starts April 26.
If BT keep the promise our new van will be the star of the show. Try and
make it.
Turist

"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558073

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:29

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:29
More answers for the expat.
You can get a 'supreme' mattress from Clarke rubber. About $350. Much
better than the $180 job that BT fit as standard. Get BT to option up,
you will notice the diff.
A lambswool overlay is still a great idea, like lambswool seatcovers,
warm in winter, cooler in summer.

Cant meet in the chat room, cant type that fast

Turist

"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558074

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:30

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:30
Is this the toilet rol holder? http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=89623&search123=toilet&intAbsolutePage=1
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 558075

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:31

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:31
okay here are some answers from the expat. 1) thanks for the tip about the shower. i am always wary of mould forming in cracks and crevices and figure prevention is better than housework (or in this instance vanwork). Hubby is always complaining how long it takes him to get the work done. 2) will keep an eye open for the mirror option when talking to BT. how much do you think they will charge for another ensuite watertight door under the sink? 3) the photo is a long way off as we didnt take any of us enjoying the cold weather - because we weren't! and i will keep up the resistance to posting said photo for as long as i can. a woman has to have her wiles you know. bet i can keep it up longer than you can! 4) flying into brissy on may 30th. just in time to see BT and attend the brissy show. wont be able to make sydney but if you send me pics then i will be able to admire the new van from afar (and also whenever i want) 5) oh nearly forgot the bog roll holder. i will just have to imagine what it looks like then, but if you say its a good idea.....is it reachable whilst sitting down in the newer ensuites? a girl has to think of these things. 6) will clarke rubber cut the mattress with the corners clipped? like BT do on the cheaper one. or will BT "option up" to a clipped one as well? 7) the lambswool overlay is a necessity, not a luxury. angie
AnswerID: 558076

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:32

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:32
negative motley, the one they also sell is a recessed one with a flap that sits flush with the wall. will have to contact them i think. but "A" for effort angie
AnswerID: 558077

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:33

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:33
G'day Angie
"Figure prevention"? Box a chockies every day should do it.
Anyhow over 2 years it has not (mould) been a problem.

About $150 for extra w/proof door.

Can you reach the B/R holder? WelI I can but how long are your arms?

Why are you clipping the ends of the mattress, only required if you are getting 18' with island bed. 20' has square ended mattress.
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558078

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:34

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:34
Turist, Jan & I took your advice and sent an email to BT this morning re the mirror and extra door under the hand basin good call. Graham
AnswerID: 558079

Our Sponsors