Campsites

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:16
ThreadID: 119785 Views:4555 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day Nomad.
Just saw your pic re Carnarvon.
My understanding is that the National Parks have closed the campground except for school hols.
You are now forced to camp in the commercial van park about 5 kl outside the park.
Something about the rangers not wanting to clean toilets and mow grass.
Pity because it is one of the best Nat Park campgrounds and the walks are not to be missed.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:18

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:18
Yes Turist your info is correct. I wonder what part the lodge had in this decision. The almighty dollar does it again. We first went there in the seventies camping in the "forrestry" camp as it was called then. The kids were young then they had a ball. We had to have cold showers in those days and gawd the water was cold. After that we got a Millard and took it there several times but the poor old EH used to struggle getting up some of the creek banks. Sometimes I'd have to reverse and have another go (I wish I'd had a F250). I am not sure if this is politically correct to say but I have a picture of a burial cave with parts of a skeleton which I was told about. These locations are kept secret on course and you had to be like a mountain goat to get to it. The wildlife at the camp is a delight. We had a nosy emu that would come right into the tent a steal the biscuits or anything else it fancied. The dam possums would come in at night and rumage amongst the sauspans and things and make a hell of a racket and kept everbody awake. The brother in law had a camping trailer and the dam things would use the canvas roof as a slippery slide but only in the middle of the night. probably the biggest fright I've ever had was when I'd got up for a leak. I was standing next to a gum tree half asleep when unknown to me a bloody possum decided to put his cold nose on my bare foot. I had no difficulty in staying awake the rest of the night. Some of my underware mysteriously dissappeared. The kids found them under some cycad trees. Well didn't I cop some **** over that lot. We often have a laugh about Carnarvon. We went trekking one day and I had left the rear wagon door up on the EH. While we were away the dam currawongs decided to eat the rubber door gasket.When there is too many people about you will not see many animals. Our kids have kids of their own now and we're going to organise a "back to Carnarvon" vacation. All families should go bush as much as possible, the most healthy thing you will do for both mind and body and the memories will last a lifetime. Nomad
AnswerID: 558128

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:19

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:19
New pics posted, Old Mornington album.
This is an old drovers camp/cattle station 90 Kl west of the Gibb River Road. Depending on track conditions and driver skills, about 3 to 4 hours from GRR turnoff but well worth the trip.
We went for two days and stayed a week. Three great gorges to visit, some fishing, a bit of 4w driving and a good campground.
Once a week the staff will prepare a meal if they can get 20 starters at $20 head. On our visit we had 14 campers, 4 ringers and the boss and his missus.
Meal was veg soup (thick), roast forequarter of beef with roast veg and sticky date pud.
And a fantastic fireside drink and bullsh-t session after.
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558129

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:20

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:20
Turist, any chance you might have the lat/long for that spot or a little more exact location? will definately put that on the grand plan agenda. Now you know why we have Bushtrackers. Nomad
AnswerID: 558130

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:21

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:21
Nomad check the new pic in Old Mornington album.
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558131

Our Sponsors