Near Disaster to Fond Memory

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 22:44
ThreadID: 119801 Views:4188 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was just reading Ron & Viv Moon's Outdoor Cookbook and it reminded me of my early campoven days (circa96). We were camped at Benarkin State Forest near Blackbutt in Qld. It was my wifes 32nd birthday (I'm dead now do the math) and I decided to do a birthday spongecake in the campoven. No scratch cake here .... it was pure Whitewings add eggs, some oil and water .... Voila !!
I had the campoven on a tripod hanging on a chain over a ploughdisc .... whack some timber on the disc, light it up, half hour later hot oven. I knew it was hotter on the bottom so I stuck a stainless plate on the bottom, made the mix, placed the olive oiled caketin in the olive oiled campoven. Took about 2 hrs to become solid on top.
When I took the cake out is was a little burnt on the bottom so I cut half inch or so from the bottom ... I tasted a bit ... MMmmm a bit ordinary but edible, just !!! The olive oil in the cakemix, the oven and the tin had done its job .... a sponge cake tasting of olive oil .... great in a salad <grin>. I grabbed a Cadbury dairy milk choc placed it in a freezer bag, melted it in the boiling billy. Cut the corner off and wrote happy birthday and placed some fancy work on the top .... what a mess .... it was now an overcoooked, choc coated, dense, olive oil, spongecake.
Sang happy birthday, served cake with coffee under the trees .... to this day its the best birthday cake my wife has had ....
The Bushtracker gas oven is the prime cakemaker now..... <smile>
Time to fess up your WORST CAMPOVEN EXPERIENCE guys and gals ............
Anthony

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors