Checker Plate Care

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 08:29
ThreadID: 119806 Views:5181 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Most people are aware of a product called "Lanotec" . I first saw it a year ago being sprayed on to the aluminium twin hull of the Stradbroke Island Taxi. Soon after taking delivery of my van I decided to protect the checkerplate from oxidation and therefore looking dull. The latest checkerplate seems to be more resistant to this than years gone by ... i wanted to make sure so rang Lanotec direct. The technical guru told me that the product recommended was the lighter of the two Lanotecs they make ... offically called ..
Lanotec GP-21 Lanolin

I applied mine as follows ....

Wash the checkerplate as per usual car shampoo etc
Shammy off to clear waterspots
Place BT in sun to heat checkerplate as Lanotec penetrates more with heat.
Apply Lanotec with a piece of sponge .... I used an ice-cream container and a piece of sponge 80 x 50 x 50 mm.
Leave for two days or so .... Buff off .... I buffed mine off to stop dirt being attracted to the checkerplate. Pig of a job, slow and tedious but worth it ... I used two old nappies.

Lanotec advised the only way to remove it was to steam cleam or wash with a product called Citraforce which they make. I have washed the van four or five times since application and water still beads on the plate.
The product is clear when applied and my plate looks as good as new ... now 15 months old.
Their website is www.lanotec.com.au
I keep some in the van all the time as it inhibits oxidisation, corrosion and electrolysis.
It is safe on metal, timber, leather, rubber, plastic and vinyl. They spray this stuff onto marine radio circuitboards to stop corrosion.
I'll probably reapply every two years ... a friend of mine travelling in his BT at the moment did his at the same time. Will report how his is when he returns.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors