Rear Window

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 20:57
ThreadID: 119808 Views:4873 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The rear window top hinge can get blocked by bulldust and this can result in a window that is difficult to close and in worst circumstance can break the mitre joints at the top of the window.
Bushtracker warn about this possibility and advise brushing the dust from the hinge area before opening rear window. (After travelling on dirt)
We found that a strip of light grey cloth tape (gaffer tape) along the top hinge, stuck across fixed and moving sections prevents the dust entry. The window still operates normally.
The tape colour is similar to the window frame and is not easily noticed.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 20:59

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 20:59
Thanks for that one Bob .... BT didnt warn me ! I have two windows at the rear <kids bunks> double trouble especially the lower one. My youngest uses the window as a spaceport docking hatch when playing space games on the bunk. Winder is well run in .... !

Anthony
AnswerID: 558202

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 21:00

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 21:00
I don't think I was warned about cleaning the top hinging area of the windows when we picked up the van, but apparently it was in their instruction folder. When I was getting something fixed at B/T they told me to wash the top groove out regularly with a high pressure hose to stop any build up of dust, and also keep the window frame clean where the seal makes contact. I find that if I haven't cleaned the frame for a while the window gets stuck closed. Does anyone have a solution that will keep this contact area clean and prevent the windows sticking?
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558203

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 21:01

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 21:01
To stop the windows sticking closed we sprayed silicone lube around the area. Seems to work but needs to be re-applied every few months.
Wait till it dries before closing windows.
After silicone lube spray dries it does not attract dust.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 558204

Our Sponsors