Packing the Fridge

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:00
ThreadID: 119812 Views:4769 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We pack most of what goes on the shelves of the fridge into plastic trays which fit neatly across the shelf. This stops them sloshing about when mobile. These act as drawers when accesing the contents. They should preferably be slotted to allow for airflow. On thing though, be careful not to accidently wind the thermostat knob up or down when manipulating the tray. I always turn the fridge up full bore when travelling or when there is an excess of energy then turn it down when there is not. Just another way of storing energy. Pity they didn't come with a double thermostat so you could swtich from one to the other. Nomad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:02

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:02
I use plastic boxes on each shelf also .... my boxes leave just enough room on RHSide to make me have to place a bottle of wine or two stubbies to stop movement. <smile>
Never thought of slots for cold circulation though... out with the hole saw again .... give'em the swiss cheese treatment !
Anthony
AnswerID: 558207

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:03

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:03
We also use plastic boxes to store everything in the fridge. The best containers are "fridgesmart" by Tupperware. They have 2 breather vents and come with a fridge magnet telling you what to open. ie: Apples 1 open, Cherries both closed and Corn both open. My daughter down in Victoria is a Tupperware rep and put us onto them. Just have to make sure the lettuce box is not touching the cooling plate at the back. We find that everything lasts a lot longer in them and they can be used at home and while we are away. An egg carton under the thermostate control helps to prevent accidentally changing the setting.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558208

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:04

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:04
We found that a small lump of Blue-Tack on the thermostat control prevents accidental shifts. The thermostat control is easily moved when packing/unpacking fridge.
Works well on the Engel beer fridge thermostat as well.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 558209

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:05

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:05
I don't wish to insult anyone by implying that one would not have the very pinacle of efficiency and good breeding, but one 'umbly inquires if one is refering to a Danfoss? I'm sorry if that question leaves you all spluttering with indignation at the mere thought that you could be counted among Lesser Mortals, but I gotta know. Ever Your Faithful Servant Griff
AnswerID: 558210

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:06

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:06
If it's a BT supplied fridge it's a danfoss
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 558211

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:07

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:07
Griff,

Sorting through the Mary Poppins speak .... I'll give a briefy ! <chimneysweepwink>

Danfoss is the type of compressor used in the modern DC powered fridge the latest I believe is the Danfoss BD35. Very efficient .... the amps draw V cooling is second to none and is cheap to produce. They can run a bit hot in our climes affecting their efficiency ... the latest version has a cooling fan the older version has a water type heat sink siliconed to the compressor and gains water from the defrost cycle in our fridges. Heaps of different fridge manufacturers use danfoss compressors .... I wish I owned the patent !!!

Was that the question ? <quizicalsmile>

Anthony

AnswerID: 558212

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:08

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:08
Thanks chaps. An here I was putting on my best Uriah Heap accent. (Not sure what Dickens thought of chimney sweeps, but I suppose it will have to do). Turist, I believe you were adventurist and vented your fridge internally? Way to early for you to comment, I know, but when you've lived with it for a while, would you come back to us with an opinion? Thanks, Chief Griff
AnswerID: 558213

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:09

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:09
I don't remember where the idea came from but we use balloons to keep things stable in the fridge and cupboards. We use a plastic hand pump from Woolies or K-mart (about $4) and we bought those plastic clips to seal off the end of the balloons so that we can use them again. We just pump the balloons up to the size we need to fill the hole, plus a bit more to create a pressure pack, tie it off and bob's your uncle. The balloon does not remove any chill factor from the fridge, and by using the clip you can re-use them. We generally get about four uses from each balloon. We find that the metallic balloons last the longest. We use them in overhead cupboards to keep glasses and crockery stable also. Len
AnswerID: 558214

Our Sponsors