AUTOMATIC TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:37
ThreadID: 119813 Views:4440 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,

I have done some research into the Smartire tyre pressure and temperature monitoring system in an effort to monitor tyre pressure while underway. The system uses a remote transmitter held by a stainless strap around the inner surface of the rim. Information is sent to the receiver (in the vehicle) which has a remote display. Both these units are smaller than a mobile phone. The rec'r is separate to the display so you can place the rec'r in a good position to receive signal from the wheel transmitters. (if needed).

This system monitors both pressure (accurate to one degree) and temp ... you can preset upper and lower limits for both and has an audible and display alarm. The multi-function unit can monitor/display individual pressure and temperature data for 20 wheel positions.

This means that in the ultimate system (expensive) that you can monitor all wheels including the tow vehicle and the van and tow vehicle spares.
No more manual checking tyre pressures on ten or more wheels and tires as you travel.

The system is made in Canada (not taiwan) the battery life in the transmitter is guaranteed for 5yrs with a typical example of 8yrs at 48,000 k per year . The transmitters go into sleep mode if the wheel stops turning .... saving battery life when stopped for extended periods.

This is really a great advantage .... imagine getting a report via a display alarm that a tyre on the BT has gone down 4 psi all of a sudden or gone up by 8 degrees because of sidewall or tread delamination. As well as pressing a button to check all tyre pressures while the motor is warming up ....
Now for the bad bit ......price !!!

The remote head unit with enough sensors to do 4 wheels is $ 995 Retail
Each additional axle (two transmitters) is $275 Retail.
I intend doing the BT with just the $995 Kit ... I can feel if the tow vehicle tyre goes flat but not the BT. As the tyres are replaced on the F250 I'll add a sensor kit and program them in.
Take a look at www.smartire.com.au for pics and info ...

I havent had much experience in serious outback travel are flats on the BT common can you tell if one tyre punctures say on the left rear BT tyre ?
Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:39

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:39
I suppose I have been lucky, no flats on tow vehicle or B/T in the 44,000km we have travelled. I think I will be waiting for a while to see what you think of them before I put this type of device on. It sounds like a good idea though.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558215

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:40

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:40
With BT van No 1 we travelled around 35,000 Kl and the majority on brown roads, after all, that is what a Bushtracker is for.
We suffered two seperate flat tyres on the van, both while travelling on good black highways.
Front left tyre punctured by a piece of animal bone
Rear right tyre punctured by a 6" nail.
And with load sharing suspension we did not detect either flat tyre until we did a normal walk around inspection, something I do every couple of hours.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558216

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:41

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:41
Sounds like it might not be the problem I thought it would be ..... especially given the quality of tyres theses days. Maybe the boss will put one under the pillow on my Birthday ...MMmmm Tall order .... <smile>
Anthony
AnswerID: 558217

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:42

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:42
I read in 4x4 mag. that Pirelli have developed a monitoring system within the tyre,which will monitor not only pressure but the suspension system as well
AnswerID: 558218

Our Sponsors