H. F. Radio

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 19:58
ThreadID: 119820 Views:5538 Replies:13 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Prev Discussion Next Discussion Send Replies to My Inbox
Recommend Message 1 of 1 in Discussion
Does anyone know the requirements for licencing for HF mobile transceivers?
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:00

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:00
My HF Radio is licensed through the VKS 737 network. it is just a case of going to a supplier of HF radios and they will install the required frequencies and contact VKS 737 for a cell call number. The fee depends on if you are a member of a 4WD club or not but are about $70 per year. If you want to make telephone calls via the radio as well then they have do install additional frequencies and another cell call number. Phone call licensing is $115 per year plus $5 for each 6 minute maximum call.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558257

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:01

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:01
I purchased my Codan NGT at Mobile Comms in Brisbane. I installed it myself as I was pretty fussy where I wanted it mounted, holes drilled etc.
I went through the VKS 737 Network also great people to deal with and have some 3-4000 members. Being with VKS allows me access to TCIS insurance for the F250.
Anthony
AnswerID: 558258

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:02

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:02
Depends what you want to use your radio for.
As the others said if just for bush communication and emergency join VKS737, they are a good mob, there is a link on our page.
If you wish to have open communications beyond that network then you will require an "Outpost" licence from ACA $32.50 year.
My HF is licenced that way and also as a "Maritime Coast" station, extra $51.50. This is because I was running offshore charters and I have a requirement to talk to the boat from time to time.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558259

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:03

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:03
Thanks for the info fellas. One more question, is sellcall a necessary or not? Also what about RFDS contact? Nomad
AnswerID: 558260

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:04

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:04
When you connect to VKS737 all the later models have cellcall. It means that you don't have to be sitting in the vehicle when a call comes in. If I sent you a cellcall message your radio would have a display showing that I had called you and when you got back in the vehicle you could then return my call. Similarly if your relatives want to contact you, then they can call VKS737 by phone and they will pass the message on. If you have cellcall they cellcall you straight away, if not they wait to regular schedule time and broadcast then call you by voice. I have a codan NGT which I am led to believe is the best HF radio available.

AnswerID: 558261

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:05

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:05
Ernie cellcall ID requirements depend on your usage.
For radphone...Yes
If you want to have "silent listening", your set will open only when someone calls your cellcall number....Yes
If you join VKS737, not mandatory but reccommended.
General car to car communication, handy but not essential.
VKS737 is one of the best ways to obtain emergency assistance, and you can access the RFD network via thier net.
Direct comms with RFDS olso possible but keep in mind that there are hundreds on the VKS737 net and one of them may well be 'just around the corner'
VKS737 will issue you with a callsign, not a cellcall.
Select your own cellcall number, for simplicity my cellcall and callsign use same digits.
Callsign R8741, Cellcall 8741
Do you have an HF radio or just considering?
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558262

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:06

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:06
I am looking at several used units, some have sellcall and some don't, also a marine set which can be programmed with land frequencies but does not have sellcall. All come down to features and price in the end. Thanks fellas Nomad
AnswerID: 558263

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:07

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:07
Im looking to set up my HF mainly for car to car use and (hopefully never) emergency use when i go away by my self. so far i have not heard any english speaking person on the HF in the entire time ive had it. Do you need to have these channels programed in? How do i go about getting a radio check? Will these radios work when around the big city?
AnswerID: 558264

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:08

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:08
Fellas and Sheilers Well I've done the deed and got a set with 600 channels to program. Next question is what frequencies? I have all the usual VKS737 and RFDS ones but what else? Thanks in anticipation in sharing your wealth of knowledgeable knowledge with me(and others). Nomad
AnswerID: 558265

Reply By: Motley - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:09

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:09
In the Links section, I've added a link to a Forum on Yahoo which is specifically related to use of Codan Radios in Australian Outback - RFDS, Emergency etc etc
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 558266

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:10

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:10
Last year when I got the HF fitted in the F250 I also connected to Bushphone and have just renewed with them for the next 12 months. While in Vic I went back to Telstat in Seaford to have additional channel programmed and they told me that Radtel now gives a much better service than Radio Data's bushphone and they now only recommend Radtel to their customers. Radtel apparently have much better equipment and more bases, as well as being the recommended service by the VKS737 network.

AnswerID: 558267

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:11

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:11
Brian,
I'll be shopping as well next sub ... did Radtel give prices ?

Nomad,
Have you had HF freq set up yet ? If not get as many freq as possible, I have 40 sideband, RFDS bases, ABC Radio, VKS737, St John's sumthin, Bushphone, and a few other wierd ones ... can list them if your interested.

Anthony
AnswerID: 558268

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:12

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 20:12
OK
Anthony, I am still havn't got the list right yet so it would be appreciated.
Brians right and I am sure Radphone is the way to go from the blurb I've read so
far. Bushphone apparently SITON and have fallen out of
favour.

Nomad

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:anthony@gil.com.au]
Sent: Saturday, 29 March 2003
09:04
To: Bushtracker Owners Group
Subject: Re: H. F.
Radio

New Message on Bushtracker Owners
Group