Caravan Heat

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:56
ThreadID: 119826 Views:4401 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Angie might be interested in this one.
Unlike our Northern members we often go Bushtracking in cold country, NSW high country etc and like to be 'warm & comfy' at night, specially after a shower.
I have been looking for a heating system that is independent of mains power and came close to importing a LPG model from the States but the costs of obtaining LPG appliance approvals was prohibitive.
We are now going to install a diesel fueled air heater made by Webasto in Germany.
Webasto are now in Australia, situated in Caringbah, Southern Sydney suburb.
I had a demo of the unit thismorning and it is great, almost silent running, nice air flow to van via 75mm vent.
Unit is only 322 x 130 x 122mm so finding a spot to put it should not be a problem. Just put a small fuel tank on the drawbar, for the diesel supply.
Anyhow a photo being posted.
If you require further info contact Roger Phair (02) 9540 4811
And tell him Bob sent you, I might get a com.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:58

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:58
If it gets too cold we put the fan heater on for a short time using the inverter. No good for long periods but OK for short time. Electric blankets work OK on inverter.
When on power we have a small oil column heater that keeps the van nice and warm, Not only does it keep the van warm but there is no noise and there is NO condensation that seems to be a problem with other types of heaters. We are leaving for Melbourne again next week to see grandchildren so I suppose the heater will come out again.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558281

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:59

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:59
I remember one trip to Landcruiser Mountain Park not long after it opened. We used to frequent it a bit because you could take the dog. We were camped by ourselves beside the creek in the middle of July. We were woken early one morning with the dog wimpering at her stainless steel water bowl. I wandered over thinking there must be a frog in it ... to my surprise the water was frozen solid and the dog was just thirsty. Had 2mm thick ice on the windscreen as well ..... So much for Warm Queensland !!
That diesel heater or electric blanket on a genny would have been paradise in the tent !!
Wonder if Angie is taking the cold in the land of the Barmy Army !! Although it must be nearly spring there .... break out the camping gear angie !
Anthony
AnswerID: 558282

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:00

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:00
well everyone, dont you worry about us coping with the cold over here. it is not as cold as i had anticipated. in fact at times no different from when we were living in tassie. we have only had snow here in london here twice since we arrived.

anyway, we easily cope here. i have an electric blanket, uggies and lovely big thick chenille dressing gown. plus the old man to snuggle up to. (he probably thinks the only thing missing are the curlers and face cream!)

when we get on the road in our BT, i would assume that nothing much will change, except that we will have some sort of proper heater appliance and will be interested to see turist's photo. bit safer i think than someone on the caravanners board who turns on the gas jets in their van to heat it up before bed.

angie
AnswerID: 558283

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:01

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:01
Yes Angie, safety is a big issue here.
It seems that a hell of a lot of vanners do not understand the affects of oxygen deprivation and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Doubly dangerous when combined with a bit of grape juice.
With heaters in vans you can get affected by either or both.
The O2 deprivation makes you feel nice and sleepy and the carbon monoxide just kills you. You nod off and don't wake up.
Severe (but not fatal) carbon monoxide poisoning has another nasty side affect on blokes. All but the most important part of the anatomy eventually recovers but not everything stands up anymore.
Bad case in Vic a few years back where a gas heater was left on overnight, family dead next day.
Those little heaters that screw on top of a gas bottle should have a great big warning sign about using them in enclosed spaces.
Some household type gas heaters have low oxygen cut off but no protection for carbon monoxide.
And this is why you dont use your stove for a heater, nod off and dont wake up.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558284

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:02

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:02
Hey Angie, you have a new thrill coming.
Summer in London and rides on the tube.
When all those hands reach up to the "hold-ons" the armpits get exposed.
then you really know how often they shower.
Been there, done that, PHEWWww!!
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558285

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:03

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:03
thanks turist, we have been living here since August 2001 so have now experienced 2 summers with all the tourists and tube "smells". Luckily haven't been caught in any stuck tubes during that time, but then I tend to go to work early and come home early to escape the cattle truck syndrome. Travel on the Jubilee line which is one of the newer ones so can be quite pleasant. Angie
AnswerID: 558286

Our Sponsors