Bushtracker Option Wish List

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:04
ThreadID: 119828 Views:4194 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A friend of mine rang and asked if there was anything I could think of to add to his BT as his is being built now .... I thought I'd start making a list in the hints and tips to help other purchasers of BTs'.

I've fitted Hyd Struts to my cargo doors to keep them open while fishing for stuff ...used to use "Ockie Straps".
A external 12v outlet like the 240v one on the annexe side.
Gas bottle frame drilled to lock bottles with extended shank locks.
Good spare wheel locks.
Polyester insulation bat around fridge top and sides for less cycling in hot weather. Dusty showed me this ... big difference stops hot air from condenser travelling rounds sides and top of fridge heating the cabinet.
Heavier duty vinyl.
Small valuables safe bolted to floor.
Various towel rails.
12v outlet in cargo bay.
I have fitted a voltage sensitive relay to send excess solar power to the 4 batteries in the vehicle to charge them. (2 start 2 deepcycle gels) I have 4 x120w panels on BT.

Bear in mind some of these things might be standard now but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Feel free to add to list ....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:06

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:06
Have jockey wheel mounted far enough back to be able to fit level ride bars on the van without interference. Rail around the top of fridge so that things can be left there and not slide off. Outside door light and grab handle. Great for putting key in lock at night. Stabaliser support legs on all corners. Mains pressure inlet with pressure reduction valve set at same pressure as pumps. Water tap on draw bar. 12V cig lighter plug inside van so that mobile phone can be charged when not on 240V power. Hook and eyes on cargo doors to hold them open. Instead of 240V outlet that is live at all times, fit a double domestic type outside power point with switches. Mirror on ensuite cupboard door. If having wingard TV antenna fitted, have another standard TV fitting as well for when at parks that have park aerials to plug into. Gauges on the water tanks. Rail at front of each cupboard (25mm angle) to stop items rubbing on doors and falling out when opened. Pensioner grab rail just inside door to hold when entering and leaving. Good radio/ CD player. DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE sign on the rear soth that you can legally make a wide turn. Any vehicle over 7.5mts can have one, but without you have to turn from within the one lane. Have fully sealed batteries fitted.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558291

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:07

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:07
Just a few things to expand on in Brians list...... The outside 240V outlet is switched neutral type, so its not live all the time. When the male plug is in then it switches it on. If you do want to change it for a double, use an 'out door' type, IP 56 or IP66. This means the unit is dust and splash proof. All electrical (240) points in a caravan must be double pole. CD/RADIO. Be sure to look around, units for marine use are the best as they are designed to take the vidration and shock. GME have a good CD/RADIO unit, we also put a switch next to the bed so u dont have to get up to turn it off.
AnswerID: 558292

Reply By: Wadefarers - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:08

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:08
Just a couple of comments about the lights over the bed. We have found that the lights can be accidently turned on in the middle of the night because of the location of the switches. (I can't wait to see the comments) Not real fun having those in your eyes at 2.00 am after a few reds. We have also found that once on a on roughish road, one of the bulbs fell out onto the bed. If you turn the light to face the roof, you do alleviate the problem. Another little problem occurred with one of the lights in the rangehood. One fell out again on a roughish (corrugated) road. As you can't turn these ones up - any suggestions to keep them in as there are no locking rims for these. Jeff
AnswerID: 558293

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:09

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:09
We don't seem to have a problem with our bed lights coming on in the middle of the night. You must get yourselves into to interesting positions that we don't, or maybe it is just that the few reds was a few too many. You had better put some supports under the van, it might be all the rocking during the night that is causing the bulbs to fall out and not the corrigated roads.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558294

Our Sponsors