Annexe

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 18:58
ThreadID: 119839 Views:4307 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got any suggestions for the best door / window layout for an annexe on an 18' van. Paul & Barb.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:00

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:00
Back in "95" I had this dilemma with an Aussie Traveller. Our tent at that time was an Aussie Traveller Awning, mounted on the roof rack on the 4wd, with a full canvas room option.
If you are camping I'd have the door on the left side wall ( as you walk out of BT door wall on left) two windows mid height or one window floor to ceiling (as ours was). And one window in right side wall.
If you are in a caravan park this would be reversed because you back in, usually.
The best of both worlds would be a screened door at both ends and the one that doesnt become a door open up but leave screen down (great window).
A door at both ends ... at Insect-O-Clock (5.00pm) open both doors leave screens down .... grab a drink of choice and enjoy bigger breezeway through annexe.
Too many "cocktails" at this time has been known to puff out annexe walls .... snoring and that's just the women <grin> And the evening meal becomes very late !

Anthony
AnswerID: 558360

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:01

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:01
Hello Paul and Barb,

We went for the most expensive option of a door at both ends. This allows you to choose which door to keep closed when the weather is bad. The outside wall has one large window where the opening flap can be used as a leanto roof by using short tent poles and ropes and pegs. This way the window can be left open with a degree of protection from the weather. A word of advice if I may about windy weather. Always peg down both corners with ropes(2 each) and peg down all the wall tabs. It is surprising just how much wind the Aussie Traveller annex will stand when pegged down properly. We went through a twister which ripped several of the wall tabs off and pulled the roof roller partly out of its' box container. Pushed it back in and with a little percussion maintenance all back to normal. Still havn't got the tabs sewed back on yet………..just another job to do…..it's on the list.

Nomad

(aka Kay and Ernie)

AnswerID: 558361

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:02

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:02
We hardly ever use the annex as such, just the awning, but a door at both ends would be much better than the single door at the front that we have. A friend of ours with a B/T have a door at both ends and it is very useful at caravan parks. Make sure that when you order the awning that you pay the little extra and have the powder coated poles. The standard aluminium pole tend to anadise when wet and leave marks on the awning where the powder coated slide easily and don't leave any marks. We only got the powder coated because of advise from our friends with B/T.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558362

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:03

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:03
I ordered my Aussie traveller in full white powdercoat matching the van .... looks heaps better than silver and no problems with "Ally Black" as Brian "said". Cost was $120 from memory better check with BTInt.
I have also fitted a white sail track along edge of top side of box to use a 5m by length of box tarp (Rheem 8000 white) for extended stays. Gives about 20 sq metres under roof instead of 8ish. My aussie trav can still be put out with this tarp up. Check piccy in my album tarp is set up. (If you havent spotted it )
Anthony
AnswerID: 558363

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:04

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 19:04
A door at each end is the way to go.
On our BT #1 we had larger doors, 4' wide. The door in the long wall was 8' wide. Takes two to roll up easily but annexe is like large screen room in hot weather and we have an 8' extension to peg out as a lean to.
Will have the same on the new van.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558364

Our Sponsors