Hot Water System Anodes

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 21:51
ThreadID: 119840 Views:4104 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just replaced the anode in our HWS. At the six month inspection the anode was ok but the tank had the remnants of the spent anode on its floor. I flushed this out by using the nozzle on the end of the hose set at a stream. Place the nozzle at the top of the anode threaded hole and point the nozzle up at 30-45 degrees hitting the back wall of the tank. This will push most of the debris out of the tank ..... fill tank a few times to flush rest out.
My anode is now ready for replacement (13months) 50% depleted. My tank is kept full all year round and is heated and water run every 4-6 weeks when not using van.
I used 4-5 turns of 12 mm thread tape to seal new anode thread. Remember to put thread tape on in the right direction ... As you look at anode in position it does up clockwise so wind tape around anti-clockwise so it doesnt unravel as you install. Dont overtighten just firm.

WARNING >>>> Tank is pressurised open all taps and fillcock valve to relieve pressure before undoing anode ..... it will come out like a rocket if you dont (45psi approx)
When filling ...start pump and open fillcock valve (12 o clock) anode (6 o clock). Try to leave a small airspace in tank so as water starts to splutter out of fillcock hose that is enough.

I had a look with a torch in the tank after flushing and after 13 months was still very clean with no scale build up.
Anthony

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors