Weight Distribution Hitch

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:13
ThreadID: 119846 Views:4099 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
As previously mentioned I fitted WD gear, the Hayman Reese supplied with the F250 tow kit, prior to our last trip.
Very happy with performance, definately smoothes out pitching moment but I found that the trunnions (T ends on spring bars) were worn about 40% after 20,000 k on mostly bad roads. There is also wear in the receiving sockets on the hitch.
I contacted Hayman Reese and for those interested here is thier response. Seems in order to me.

"Hi Bob,
thanks for your message.

The 't' piece or trunnion in connection with the receiving sockets is a wearing surface and expected to wear in use.

Usually we see the receiving sockets wear as the trunnion 'seats' itself in the initial stage. We would also expect that higher ball weights will apply greater pressure on these wearing surfaces.

The rate of wear will then stabilise.

The rate of wear will also be dependent on the conditions on the road underwhich it is operating.

The trunnions can be replaced as a spare part.
The receiving sockets can be built up again when the sockets wears back within say 10mm of the rim.

If you have an opportunity you could take the ball mount and trunnions to a Hayman Reese distributor who could comment on their condition. A list ofdistributors is included at our website under Stockists"
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:17

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:17
Picture of my hitch now in album ....

Anthony
AnswerID: 558406

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:18

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:18
I fiited the hitch on the van underneath and not on top of the plate on the A frame. This raises the A frame about 100mm and the van sits just about level and it looks good. Nomad
AnswerID: 558407

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:19

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:19
I tried this Ernie and the A frame sat too high at front ..... you must have a 100mm chassis for yours to work ? I've checked my bump stops and they are within spec (80-100mm) for some reason my van must have a lower ride height. Another way to solve this prob I thought of was to extend the AT35 coupling forward by two plates sandwiching the A frame plate. Only needed 100mm forward for it to work. After taking a few measurements I decided that the extra leverage might cause cyclic fatigue cracks in the A frame plate.
Be interesting to see a pic Graham's setup in a month or so. As he knows he'll need bars for trip home if over 2500kg
Maybe I'm missing something here ....... Made my Mark 1 version a week after getting van home been waiting a year for Mark 2 to hit brain !!! <smile>

Anthony
AnswerID: 558408

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:20

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:20
Anthony I had the same problem with BT #1, 100 mm chassis.
I moved coupling forward by fabricating a piece of 12mm plate cut to same angle and size as underside of BT's original A frame plate but 250 mm longer. (ie dimension between chassis rails) This plate reinforced with 2 lengths of 100 x 10 flat bar welded on edge on underside of plate. The lot then drilled as required and galvanised. No problems at all even on the roads/tracks we used.
I have ordered the new van with the A frame 300 mm longer and I hope this will overcome potential problems. But now I am wondering about the new chassis, 150 mm.
Sorry cant post photo as van has been sold but phone for better description if you wish.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558409

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:21

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:21
Fitting the AT35 to the underside of the A frame plate must be the answer for Patrols as I noticed that Jeff had his fitted in this way.

Anthony please give me the height of your AT 35 mount, measured from the top of the mounting plate, (underside of AT35 on F250) to ground when parked on level surface.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558410

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:22

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:22
Bob,
I'll hook up van tomorrow and measure .... According to my towing diary 540mm but will recheck. I'll try to post pic of rig hooked up.

Brian,
I noticed in the pic of your F250 that you had a WD Hitch (with a bar head attached) in the receiver. How are you running bars ? Under chassis ? Extension plate ? 100mm Chassis ?

Got any pics in your album of van hitched up showing bars ?

Anthony
AnswerID: 558411

Reply By: Andy1 - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:23

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:23
Anthony I come late to this discussion as we have been on the road for a month or so & my only access has been via the Telstra CDMA network which is neither fast or cheap so do not check the forum often. We have the hitch on the van underneath, it was set up by Rob B at Vehicle Components who I think you know. Agree with you comment re reduction of ground clearance but have had no problem. When we get home in a couple of months plan to look at turning HR hitch over but issue then will be tail gate contact with top of hitch. At the start of this trip we had 250kg on the ball & using the hitch with 4 free links transferred 100kg to front wheels. Looking at your photo the angle of the recieving hitch on the F250 seems too far forward - mine is more or less parallel with the ground both before hitching & then after bars fitted. I am at the Streaky Bay Internet Access currently & the van is at Baird Bay so do not have measurements with me but will give you a call with same when we get back on the road. Baird Bay is just out of CDMA range by the litreral bees ...... Coverage has been fantastic. Andy
AnswerID: 558412

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:24

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:24
G'day Andy,
I had to put this slight angle forward to raise the springs .... being in the lower head and angled down they nearly hit the road, well not quite, at the chain end. Now that I have a higher ball weight (now 220 was 190) requiring 4th link instead of third I could now have this angle more parallel to ground. Trying to post a pic tonight with F250 and van hitched. I tried it with the AT35 below like yours but van was tilted backwards in lowest hole. This is what makes me think my chassis is abnormally low.
I was chatting with Rob recently and he asked me to pop over to see some "Goodies". I'll ask him about your setup.
Having a great time by the sound of it .... half ya luck !!
Regards
Anthony

AnswerID: 558413

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:25

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:25
I had the same problem of the bars binding on the chassis, Ours is only a 100mm, and I solved ours by extending the plate that the hitch attaches to by 100mm. Mario, the B/T chassis welder was very reluctant to change it and would only do it for an excessive price, so I went to our local trailer builder who said that they regularly did it on caravans. They replaced the plate with a 100mm overhang, and a strenghtening vertical bar under the centre and it now works well. I noticed the B/T started extending the plate by about 50mm after I had made enquiries about getting mine done.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558414

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:26

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:26
Thanks Brian,
After talking with Bob and seeing yours is extended this is now top of the list for mine. I'll probably wait til Bob gets his new van "hitched" to see how he goes. I hoping to see Andy's setup when he gets to Bris shortly. If BT are extending the plate problem will be solved for everyone.
Regards
Anthony

AnswerID: 558415

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:27

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:27
Anthony, I was just looking at your hitch photo. When we were setting ours up we were told that the front section of the hitch (on van) should be as close as possible to vertical. This is done by taking the top bolt out and roatating the brass adjuster washers until the car bracket is vertical. It will make it easier to hook up and should cause less wear in the coupling. We will be leaving Cool southern Victoria tomorrow and should be going through Brisbane next weekend. I won't have the computer on during that time but if you could send us a SMS on our mobile 0429 774 194 with your address/contact details, I will try and catch up in Brisbane.

AnswerID: 558416

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:28

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:28
Brian,
Andy noticed that as well ... I had to angle the top head back a little to allow the bottom head to angle back as the bar ends were too close to the ground. As you can see the heads actually touch each other. The bottom head is only about 230mm from ground that is why bar ends were to low with head parallel to ground.

Regards
Anthony
AnswerID: 558417

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:29

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:29
Anthony, Have you thought of cutting the 10mm plate off the top of the chassis and then welding it to the bottom of the chassis. With the hitch bolted to this lower plate there should be ample clearance for the weight distribution bars to be fitted so that they don't foul the chassis. I don't see any reason why the hitch plate cannot be under the chassis instead of on top where everyone seems to put it, but some of our other members may have some thoughts on it.

AnswerID: 558418

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:30

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:30
Last resort I suppose ..... I believe a modification like this would render compliance with original Bushtracker "approved" engineering drawings void. I'm leaning towards putting the AT35 under the plate with a 40mm spacer block and longer graded bolts. Cant wait til Bob gets his hitched up ..... maybe we can discuss it at Cania over a beer or two !!! Any parts of road into Cania worry my hitch with only 230mm clearance from road to bottom of hitch ?

Anthony
AnswerID: 558419

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:31

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:31
Anthony even those extra long Jayco vans with all the overhang are seen at Cania so no problems for you.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 558420

Our Sponsors