Minimum Distance Between Long Vehicles

Submitted: Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:30
ThreadID: 119848 Views:4059 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I found this rule sometime ago and thought I'd post it for people new to towing Bushtrackers.
This applies to towing anything over 7.5 metres in length including the towing vehicle.
It might be Australia wide but is certainly the rule in Qld.

Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 1999.

Division 1 - General
Section 127.1
Keeping a minimum distance between long vehicles :-

The driver of a long vehicle must drive at least the required minimum distance behind another long vehicle travelling in front of the driver, unless the driver is -

(a) driving on -
(i) a multi-lane road; or
(ii) a length of road in a built up area; or
(b) overtaking.

Maximum Penalty 20 penalty units.

(2) In this section -

"Long Vehicle" means a vehicle that, together with any load projection, is 7.5 metres long or longer.

"Required minimum distance" means -
(a) for a long vehicle in a road train area - 200 metres ; or
(b) for a long vehicle in another area - 60 metres.

"Road train area" means an area where road trains may be driven under a permit or guideline under the Transport Operations Regulation 1995.

In other words travelling behind another van ( or anything 7.5m or longer) keep 60m (approx 12 car lengths) between you and them on a single lane road.

I can see "Officer Dibble" now .... Excuse me Sir ! Why were you travelling too close to that Ferrari with that Bushtracker on ..... Well officer !!! I was looking to overtake him !!!!! <smile>
Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:38

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:38
Nothin' foreign about these jobs.
Bushtrackers are 'Strayn mate.

Could be a good idea though, a vinyl label tailored to fit the B/T.
Just have to be sure that it complies with appropriate standards.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558424

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:39

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:39
Talked to transport "man" tonight. He seems to recall a AS???? number on bottom of stickers. He thought, from memory, that it dealt with letter size and background colour. I have to drag my BT over to Camec tomorrow or next day for lock inspection. (Geez ! One guy at Camec wound me up today) Nearby was a huge truck supply company .... I'll grab "sample" from them ...... find standard .... and post sticker to ya, Graham.

My BT measures 310mm from edge of number plate light to edge of brake/blinker assembly and 148mm from top rim of rear bar to bottom rim. If the standard only lists a max size it would be great to custom fit one in this space.

That would leave space on the opposite side for a B.O.G. logo ! <smile>

Anthony

AnswerID: 558425

Reply By: F Troop - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:40

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:40
I am a little concerned that we will have to have the "square yellow and red things" on each side of the van as well as the" text ". My gut tels me that the text sticker on its own will not be sufficient. This leaves you hands on/mechanical/engineer guys, to come up with a tidy alternative to a sticker on the back of the van. I am thinking that I could make the sticker, then put it onto something ????, then have it attach to the bar that holds the brake lights ??( bumper ) it could then be removable when on the dirt - ie: not mess up the back of the BT. Would an alloy plate fitted into carra track (below the brake lights on each side) be a start? I also do not fancy putting a huge sticker on each side of the B/T. Graham
AnswerID: 558426

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:41

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:41
I grabbed 300mm x 100mm sign from Truckline this morning. It is a 2mm thick piece of ally sheet. Once I have relevant road rules with dimensions we will be able to see if we can get away with these. I feel sure these will be ok as fitment is not compulsory. The sign has a honeycomb reflective surface and was $15 inc GST.

Trying to take a pic of it on BT now .... will post asap.

Anthony
AnswerID: 558427

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:42

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:42
Graham,
Posted a few pics of "Do not overtake turning vehicle" sign in my album. This is as big as I want to go. I'm using four spots of Sikaflex to hold it on ... there is no way I'm drilling hole !

I'll put mine in the bar next to number plate so sikaflex doesnt have to go on van panelling.

Anthony
AnswerID: 558428

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:43

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:43
G'day Anthony.
How about a "Do Not Take Overturning Vehicle" sign.
Could be that there is a member could use that one. :-)
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558429

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:44

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:44
Turist wrote: "G'day Anthony.
How about a "Do Not Take Overturning Vehicle" sign" Angie wrote: "I hope I dont have to see or better still even experience that one. Felt bad enough hearing about the Motleys being caught in hailstorm! Wouldn't like anything to happen to fellow BOGERS, as I am just getting used to you all". Angie
AnswerID: 558430

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:45

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:45
Here's a good one .. Brisbane City Council buses now have a sticker on rear bumper it says
" IF YOU CANNOT SEE MY MIRRORS I CANT SEE YOU "

A few have been doctored ... with nikko pen

IF YOU CANNOT SEE MY MIRRORS you cant do make-up
IF YOU CANNOT SEE MY MIRRORS they fell off
IF YOU CANNOT SEE MY MIRRORS I CANT SEE YOU give me the finger
IF YOU CANNOT SEE MY MIRRORS you cant see me picking my nose

As if a BCC bus driver ever looks in his mirrors .....give me a break ! <smile>

I recently saw this on a bumper of a Cruiser ....
IF YOU CAN READ THIS MY CARAVAN FELL OFF

Anthony
AnswerID: 558431

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:46

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:46
Just bumping this one up to the top as I am not sure it has been resolved yet?? Angie
AnswerID: 558432

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:47

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:47
The legislation seems to differ between states. They all follow the Aust Road Rules 1999 and then seem to add rules willy nilly at the state level.

Here is the Aust Road Rules 1999 reference to the signs .... just to bring it forward ...

Division 5 - Signs for oversize vehicles
227A Do not overtake turning vehicle signs for long vehicles
A person must NOT drive a vehicle displaying a do not overtake turning vehicle sign if the vehicle, together with any load or projection, is not 7.5 metres long or longer.
Maximum Penalty 20 penalty units.
I have fitted the sign in my Photo album and use above as why if anyone asks. I have the relevant rules for Qld Transport coming so can eventually solve it for Qld rego vans. In Qld it seems that the first requirement might be a GVM of 12t and over. In the regulations for building vans under 4.5t it doesnt mention these signs and it sure covers a heap of stuff pertaining to lights reflectors and dimensions etc
The RTA NSW wont let me into their Road Regulations area to check minimum dimensions for NSW .... it must smell a Queenslander !!! <smile>
Maybe a NSWelshman can look at .... www.rta.nsw.gov.au to check for NSW rego's.

Anthony
AnswerID: 558433

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:48

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:48
Hi Was a standard warning sign and a Boggers site sign ever resolved? tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 558434

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:49

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:49
Jay, Most of us have been using this one but there are quite a few available ...
AnswerID: 558435

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:50

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:50
Anthony, The "Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle" (DNOTV) Sign was initiated as a result of accident records showing a high number of cars being squashed by left turning trucks which have to swing wide (often using the lane adjacent to a kerb lane) to make a left turn. The sign's principle application is for left turns as right turns generally are provided with larger radii (with exception of some intersections on one-way streets) If only one DNOTV is displayed on the back of a vehicle, it should be placed as near as possible to the left turn indicator. You will note that some trucks display the sign on both sides. The NSW RTA's Heavy Vehicle Drivers Handbook states that: "If your vehicle (or vehicle and trailer) is 7.5m or longer and has a DNOTV sign on the back, you are permitted to turn left from (or partially from) the lane on the right of the far left lane. Alternatively, if your vehicle 1s 7.5m or longer and is over 12 tonnes GVM it may display the words DNOTV on one of the rear marking plates..... Intersection markings are generally too tight for larger vehicles and you have to swing wide to make a left turn. Try to position your vehicle so that vehicles behind you cannot pass on your left and make sure you have the best view possible of the road you are turning into...." For right turns, the RTA states: " If you are turning right from a one-way street, your vehicle (or vehicle and trailer) is 7.5m or longer, and you have a DNOTV sign displayed on the back of your vehicle, you can turn right from the lane on the immediate left of the far right lane." Hope this will help BOGGERS! ..... Cheers.......Rob (Traffic Engineer) PS How do you place photos in the photo album?
AnswerID: 558436

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:51

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:51
G'day Rob. Thanks for pointing that out with regards to the sign ! I knew there was a reason I only put it on with double sided tape ..... no ugly screw holes now when I shift it over to the left !!! To place a pic in album or more likely create yourself an album ...you have to have "Member Tools" up at the left side under "2004 Rally Acceptances" not just "Tools" as you have be logged in as a member not just reading forum. The easiest way to do this is to pretend post by clicking on reply to any post and when posting dialogue box comes up fully just click on cancel so no post is taken. You will see "Member Tools" now on the left ..... click on "Pictures" and when screen appears click on "Create a new Album" .... follow prompts from there. Everyone gets 3 meg of space to post pics ...... so keeping pic lean gives you more space. Hope this helps ... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 558437

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:52

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 22:52
All, We have a DNOTV sign whihc extends alomost 3/4 of the way across the back of our van - can't be missed, but not an eyesore either! I ordered this through AutoOne (Waitara) and it took about 1 week to come into stock. Phil
AnswerID: 558438

Our Sponsors