Quirky NSW RTA over 2000kg ruling for Rego.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:38
ThreadID: 119851 Views:7184 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Found this on RTA page when looking for legislation "other" group.

Over 2000kg trailers
Such trailers, if fitted with electrically actuated braking systems, must be equipped with a device which applies the brakes in the event of a breakaway from the towing vehicle and maintains application for at least fifteen minutes. It is essential therefore, that an energy source, such as a battery, be carried on the trailer and that means be provided to ensure that the battery is maintained in a fully energised condition. In this regard, it will be satisfactory if any trailer-mounted battery is constantly charged by the towing vehicle and a warning device is fitted to warn the driver (from the normal driving
position)if the trailer battery charge falls to such a level as to render the trailer brakes incapable of meeting the requirements.

Trailers required to be fitted with breakaway systems are NOT registrable if there is no means for maintaining the breakaway energy source in a fully-energised condition (for example, if a charging and warning circuit is not fitted). An acceptable warning circuit must incorporate either a visual or an audible warning device.

Food for thought if you want to register a BT in NSW ... full bulletin is here ...


I reckon if you have a charge wire to van batteries on your BT (and most have) you could argue that when hitched up the cars voltmeter is monitoring car and van batteries.

Bob, is your van rego'ed in NSW .... ? No wonder all you NSW BT owners have a fetish to move to sunny Queensland ... <smile> with zinc on lips>


Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:42

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:42
Angie I hope that you have a friend in Qld.
I am almost sure that Qld rego requires a residential address, not a PO box.
May be wrong here, could be changed but this was the case in 2000 when we purshased BT #1
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558451

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:43

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:43
Bob hit the nail on the head. No PO Box sorry says Mr. Transport Man. He also stated that your drivers licence cant be a PO Box either for obvious reasons. Licence is now connected to rego papers via computer. Must have "Place of Abode" for Rego and Licence.
Nuffin to say you cant be living at an address of a friend and on hols in ya BT !

Transport Man says he will check with policy dept as he has had a few enquires regarding this situation.

Proof of abode for rego would be a current drivers licence address and say a current bank statement showing residential address.

I know Angie !!! I've got it !!!!! Buy a unit overlooking the water at say Noosa and your fellow BT pals will air unit out and collect mail for ya. On a roster system of course !! <barbecue on the balcony smile>

AnswerID: 558452

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:44

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:44
thanks guys, knew you would have all the guff. have a brother and his wife living in brisbane (who are soon to have the pleasure of a visit from big sister!) so maybe that will suffice. bank statement could prove problematic unless we organise that before we leave here. either way at least we know the deal now. anthony, how much is coffee per sip to celebrate the new lifestyle? we dont drink but do love a good brew. i hope this means we still qualify to be BOGGERS? angie
AnswerID: 558453

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:45

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:45
Like most people over 40 I drink for quality now not quantity.<hic> And of course you must still qualify to BOG ... they let ME stay here !!! <smile>
Even as a child there has been "Vino Rosso" on the table and "caffe espresso" on the stove so I love a great coffee also.
I have been threatening to take my espresso maker from home in the BT but wife looks at me a bit strange .... but now that Graham has set the pace I'm taking it !!!!
Runs great of a Honda EU2.0i genny .... tried it already ! <lavazza smirk> Also tried running genny in back of F250.... quiet as an english Titmouse !
If we ever get another BT it will be built in near sink. Of course my wife wont complain about hot chocolate "Cappuccino" at 4pm on a winters day or "granita di caffe dolce" made from fresh espresso from the BT freezer on a summers day !

AnswerID: 558454

Reply By: F Troop - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:46

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:46
Wow, have I got a lot of learning to do..... What on earth is a "granita di caffe dolce". Sounds tasty. I believe that Motley will also be carrying his Espresso as standard equipment . I can see a "coffee cook off" happening at some stage!
AnswerID: 558455

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:47

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:47
Granita di caffe dolce is sweetened espresso coffee put in a tray then in the freezer of BT. As it starts to ice scrape it with a fork every half hour or so .... it forms little crystals of sweet frozen coffee. Not to everyone's taste ? A great way to have a coffee in summer. As the palate is dulled with cold you have to add more sugar than usual and coffee taste is also dulled so you can get away with stronger coffee. Experiment !

Here is a favourite you might like better .... called "Affogato" (means drowning) easier to make tastes great.
Take a saucer or very small soup bowl and put in one shot of espresso from machine .... place one scoop of vanilla ice-cream in coffee, add half a tablespoon of coffee liqueur ... hot coffee,cold ice-cream enjoy ! Bushtracker Affogato.

The best liqueur for this is a "Tiramisu" liqueur from Italy was available in Melb but is no longer because of a dispute with manufacturer. They are trying to get another ASAP.
In the interim coming in May is a couple that might be suitable ...
Varneli Mocca Liqueur and Varneli Adesso I've ordered small sample bottles to try. Pretty hard to beat the combination of tiramisu, espresso and vanilla ice-cream.


AnswerID: 558456

Reply By: F Troop - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:48

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:48
AnswerID: 558457

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:49

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:49
Anthony, my Deputy Manager who is Italian assures me I can get Tiramisu here in UK. In fact her aupaire made me a tiramisu dessert this week and it was greatly enjoyed by all the management team at our weekly meeting (they love me!!). You're in Brissy right? What if I try and bring you some with me seeing as you have been such a helpful person to the forum? Would be happy to do that for you. Anything to help a fellow BOGER. Angie
AnswerID: 558458

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:50

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:50

Thank you ... I would appreciate that I'm down to last half inch in last bottle ! Dont got to too much trouble .... it is called Tiramisu Dessert Liqueur. The one I have is Camel brand. It says on the back Produced and bottled for export only by Distillerie Camel Spa - Italia.
Maybe this one is no longer made but a tiramisu liqueur should be common.

Speaking of tiramisu I make a good one as well. I use mascarpone from Italy, couverture choc from France and Cointreau. Local Savoiardi biscuits and my espresso. Making myself hungry now ! <smile> Have not made one for awhile ..... so be very very quiet if wife sees this post she will pester me until I make one. <dont drop a pin smile>

AnswerID: 558459

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:51

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:51
You sure your name isn't Antonio? Will see what I can find. Angie
AnswerID: 558460

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:52

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:52
Angie, You dont need a queensland licence to rego your van there, but you do need an address. I know none of the law obiding BT owners would do it, but it would go somthing like this...... Rego van in your name at an address of a friend or say famliy member who lives in the sunny state. Easy. But as I say im sure nobody would do anything like that here. I dont know about the car rego but i would guess its the same as the van.
AnswerID: 558461

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:53

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:53
You are right Adam you can rego van in Qld .... I believe it says so long as the main garaged address is in Qld. Where it gets a bit sticky though is in Qld the towing vehicles' rego covers the van for third party as well as the vehicle. I believe in NSW that third party for the van is paid in the van rego that's why it is somewhat dearer. So if you tow a Qld rego van with a NSW rego car the van has no cover for third party. It would be the same in any other state that doesnt cover "towed vehicle" third party in towing vehicles rego. Maybe you can rego van in Qld and take out TPI in NSW .... is this possible ? Would you bother ? I would certainly want it in writing from TP Insurer of NSW car that they would cover my Qld rego’d van in any state.
Watch your life take a severe downhill run if you injure someone with the van on a public road with no third party insurance ?
The simplest way to go for Angie is to qualify for Qld Licence which gives her a "Customer Reference Number (LicNo) which enables her to rego vehicle and van in QLD with appropriate TPI cover Aust wide. And funny enough it happens to be the cheapest.

Ah yes !!!! Good old Qld .... beautiful one day ...cheap the next !!! <bent banana grin>

AnswerID: 558462

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:54

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:54
thanks adam and anthony. i will pass this information to hwmbo and see that he gets us the appropriate registration. really does become a little harder in life when as people you go NFA. but there are always ways to cope with the system. angie
AnswerID: 558463

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:55

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:55
Queensland Transport told me that QLD road laws only permit a QLD registered vehicle to tow a QLD registered trailer, But in Victoria a Victorian registered vehicle can tow any trailer registered in ANY state. Something to do with TPI. Angie, if you want cheap rego for the caravan register it in Victoria where trailers only cost $28 for rego. I think all states require break away brakes over 2 tonnes but I was not aware of the requirement to have any indicators for the trailer battery status, and having done several years in the Victorian traffic branch, I doubt that there would be very many police around Australia that would be aware of it either, so I don't think we need to worry about it. Speed camera's for F250 owners is a bigger problem.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558464

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:56

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:56
Thanks Brian, Even though we have many friends in Victoria, there is really no-one in any state that we would want to burden with playing postman for us and so we were looking at the Landbase mail forwarding service which of course are located in Queensland. Not sure how we would go with some agencies having a residential address in Victoria and a postal address in Queensland. Really don't make it easy for NFA do they? Ivan said he wouldnt like the logistics of getting the BT registered in Queensland first and then getting it transferred to Victorian rego when we get down that far. I think I will have to let him have his way on this. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar sometimes. Leather jacket is looking good!! Angie
AnswerID: 558465

Our Sponsors