Jerrycans - what to buy

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:55
ThreadID: 119860 Views:3871 Replies:12 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I will shortly be in the market for a few jerrycans. I have read various reports on good and bad types. Has anyone got any comments on them. Good, bad or indifferent? Brands etc? I would rather pay a bit extra now for good ones. I think that is better than buying cheapies and having them rupture down "the track" Any comments appreciated. Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:57

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:57
Graham, I have been using the black plastic ones made by Rheem foar some years now. I have 4 which have been on a number of trips and which show no signs of wear and tear at this stage. Last trip through Simpson Desert, they looked more like football bladders on one particularly hot day (they were strapped on the roof rack), but despite being bent out of shape, there were no problems. Looked at metal ones at the time, but could only find cheap imported ones, with flimsy cap closers and very poor looking seals, so opted for the Rheem product and will stick with them.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558506

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:58

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:58
Thanks Motley, Did you get the address for ADK scales.
AnswerID: 558507

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:59

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:59
Graham Thanks for ADK address. Currently awaiting delivery
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 558508

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:00

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:00
I have been using the Rheem black fuel cans for a few years both camping and marine with no problems.
Watch out when you open them after they have been in the sun.
I reckon that the discharge of fumes would travel a long way, to a campfire or other ignition source.
And that could really stuff your day.

The steel cans can split after looonngg use due to to the expansion-contraction of the sides when heating and cooling.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 558509

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:01

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:01
I used to have the steel ones but found that they would never fully seal, they tended to rub a lot and eventually got rusty and flakes came off into the fuel causing us to have to filter the fuel before it entered the vehicle. I changed to the black plastic ones and never had any problems with them, including the Gunbarrel so called highway. If you get the plastic ones, make sure you get the newer type with 2 caps that are easier to fill and empty with the second cap open to let air in or out. The flexible yellow pourer on the black plastic ones is also good.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558510

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:02

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:02
Hello Graham, We have been using the old metal army cans, do not swell in hot weather like the plastic ones. They are reasonably heavy metal with the type of closure that can be wired down to keep them closed. Cost about $50 each 10 years ago. Have had no problems. John and Sandra
AnswerID: 558511

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:03

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:03
Hello John & Sandra, welcome to the group.

I have to agree that the original Au. Army issue jerrycans do not split like the steel cans now available.
Trouble is, where do you get them?
All disposal stores sell now are the Asian produced look alikes and they should not be on the market.
Metal gauge too light and the cans split along the "cross break" on the sides.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 558512

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:04

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:04
Thanks for all the input. I have tracked down the genuine ex army jerry cans to a camping store in Unanderra NSW cost $40.00 each. Graham
AnswerID: 558513

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:05

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:05
If you are buying the jerry cans for fuel for the F-truck, why don't you put the money towards a fuel tank. Both Turist and I have 200-225Lt tanks custom made that sit in the tray just behind the cab. That area of the cab is hard to get at anyway so you are not really loosing much space in there. Half a dozen jerrycans would take up the same amount of space, only have half the capacity and have to be tied down in some way. On my first trip to WA we had plastic Jerry cans in the same place in the back and it was a pain in the b climbing over things to get them out and then standing pouring fuel into truck. With the auxiliary tank, when I get down to 1/4 full I simply flick the pump on for 30 minutes and I know I have transferred about 50lts of fuel, no fuss and you don't have to stop to do the transfer. When filling time comes it is much easier to fill on tank through 1.5" opening than jerry cans that may not have a big enough neck opening to fit fast fill diesel pump into. Turist fills his through second filler in side of canopy, I have a pipe running to rear of tray and fill through there.

AnswerID: 558514

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:06

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:06
I think Graham is using two for coke and one for rum !!! <distilledgrin>

Seeing as we dont get to do many long trips I'm looking to make my tank removable. After looking at Turist's setup I'm going to "T" the fuel into the main fill line. The tank in the back will have its own pump and cav filter mounted on the side. When home I can cap off the "T" on main line and remove tank and store.

Anthony
AnswerID: 558515

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:07

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:07
Hi guys, Bourban Anthony, Bourban. Tins are for boat and genset fuel. I love what you guys have done for extra fuel ,before your posts I had made enquires to have a tank made and fitted, the result was $1700.00 and we need to bend your exhaust system, all for 125 lts NO Thanks. When time alows I will look very close at your systems. Graham
AnswerID: 558516

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:08

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:08
My stainless steel tank cost $1000 fitted plus extra for pump and solenoid shut off valve

AnswerID: 558517

Our Sponsors