Weight Dist Hitch Wear

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:49
ThreadID: 119874 Views:4018 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
From Turist

As previously mentioned I fitted WD gear, the Hayman Reese supplied with the F250 tow kit, prior to our last trip. Very happy with performance, definately smoothes out pitching moment but I found that the trunnions ( ends on spring bars) were worn about 40% after 20,000 k on mostly bad roads. There is also wear in the receiving sockets on the hitch.

I contacted Hayman Reese and for those interested here is thier response. Seems in order to me.
"Hi Bob, thanks for your message.

The 't' piece or trunnion in connection with the receiving sockets is a wearing surface and expected to wear in use.
Usually we see the receiving sockets wear as the trunnion 'seats' itself in the initial stage. We would also expect that higher ball weights will apply greater pressure on these wearing surfaces. The rate of wear will then stabilise.
The rate of wear will also be dependent on the conditions on the road underwhich it is operating.
The trunnions can be replaced as a spare part.
The receiving sockets can be built up again when the sockets wears back within say 10mm of the rim.
If you have an opportunity you could take the ball mount and trunnions to a Hayman Reese distributor who could comment on their condition. A list ofdistributors is included at our website under Stockists"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:51

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:51
A little grease on these moving parts may stop some of this wear. You do need some Coles shopping bags etc to cover the greasy areas when not in use.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558590

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:52

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:52
I recommend that you do not use grease as it will act like a magnet to dust and turn your grease into lapping paste and accelerate wear. You could use graphite powder instead, available at most hardware or auto shops or lock smiths

Pete
AnswerID: 558591

Our Sponsors