Minimum Distance Between Long Vehicles

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 00:00
ThreadID: 119876 Views:3955 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I found this rule sometime ago and thought I'd post it for people new to towing Bushtrackers.

This applies to towing anything over 7.5 metres in length including the towing vehicle. It might be Australia wide but is certainly the rule in Qld.

Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 1999.
Division 1 - General
Section 127.1
Keeping a minimum distance between long vehicles :-
The driver of a long vehicle must drive at least the required minimum distance behind another long vehicle travelling in front of the driver, unless the driver is -
(a) driving on -
(i) a multi-lane road; or
(ii) a length of road in a built up area; or
(b) overtaking.
Maximum Penalty 20 penalty units.
(2) In this section a "Long Vehicle" means a vehicle that, together with any load projection, is 7.5 metres long or longer.
"Required minimum distance" means -
(a) for a long vehicle in a road train area - 200 metres ; or
(b) for a long vehicle in another area - 60 metres.
"Road train area" means an area where road trains may be driven under a permit or guideline under the Transport Operations Regulation 1995.

In other words travelling behind another van ( or anything 7.5m or longer) keep 60m (approx 12 car lengths) between you and them on a single lane road.
I can see "Officer Dibble" now .... Excuse me Sir ! Why were you travelling too close to that Ferrari with that Bushtracker on ..... Well officer !!! I was looking to overtake him !!!!! <smile> Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors