matters of the interior

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:30
ThreadID: 119882 Views:4934 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Well, this is the last one from me today. How have owners found all that woodwork inside the van? Does it come across as oppressive when the sun is not quite so bright or its nighttime? I had always thought to keep everything as light as possible for the days when natural light was a problem (including the walls) but really do like the woodwork and colours as displayed in Motleys BT. Other vans I have seen seem more light and airy in their colour schemes. I know Collyn favours lots of windows. Is that for taking advantage of the light or for weight? Comments please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:32

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:32
Angie when you get to the factory an stand inside a van with light oak interior you will see that they have a light and airy feel.
Darker teak colours do absorb light. The inside of my boat has a lot of teak panelling and on cloudy days does become a little dark downstairs.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558623

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:33

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:33
When I was in Motley's BT at Nambour (and in Brian's now that I think of it) the first thing I noticed was the open light feel because of light timber and curtains.
We went for dark timber and there is a big difference as our van doesnt have that light feel.
I suppose the light timber would be good for summer and dark timber for winter. My wife also had a good peek through Brian's BT and I just asked her would she go lighter timber in our dream BT21 .... Reply : I would stay with dark timber because I like that look but tell Angie to look in both that's for sure it's a completely different look between the two. Maybe somewhere between the two !

We have burgundy curtains and blue lounge covers with the dark timber and dark grey slate benchtops and table. Bordello !!! What Bordello !!! <smile>

Anthony
AnswerID: 558624

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:34

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:34
I can hear the question now: "Daddy, whats a bordello?" Angie
AnswerID: 558625

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:35

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:35
Boerdello is an early South African delicatessen.

Re interiors. the following may help (extracted in part from my new book on making solar work in caravans).

The amount of light reflected from various surfaces is roughly as follows:

White/light cream - 70-80%
Maple/birch - 60%
Pale yellow - 55%
Light blue or grey -45%
Light oak - 40%
Beige - 35%
Walnut/teak - 15%-20%

As you can see except for maple/birch, timber generally is a spectral vacuum cleaner. Can look great (if you like that sort of greatness - even with a heap of lights it can be very dark and gloomy. The darker colours need about four time the light for the same subjective brightness. You can soften the white at night by using warm white compact fluro globes.

We chose white because we like heaps of light - big windows for same reason. But its very much a personal thing - some people like cocooning.

We built the OKA with all white interior except for seat covers etc. Nothing above 750 mm high. We love it - but as I say it personal.

We actually built our house much the same way. Almost entirely heavy cyclone proof glass and steel frame. Four metre ceiling and totally open inside except for a few two metre partitions for loo etc. It's just one huge space.

Does England still have any colour - or is it now entirely grey - instead of just mostly?
Vila sends her love
Collyn
AnswerID: 558626

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:36

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:36
Hi Collyn, must have missed this posting. Seem to have been a bit busy lately for some reason. Thanks for the info about the internal colours. I think with the BT's it seems the rationale for all the wood is mentioned as being one of practicality of upkeep e.g. being able to be sanded back and re-stained etc. I must admit to having liked the interior colours of some other company's vans better because of the lightness and hence also perceived spaciousness, but the quality of the laminex wall sheeting used didn't give confidence for longevity and this will be our permanent home and needs to last us quite a while. By the way, there has been a lot of discussion in other circles around the impact of colour on the therapy of clients in treatment and visitors to waiting rooms e.g. not using inflammatory colours as opposed to the soft blues and pastel pinks etc being restorative and calming colours. So in order to keep hwmbo calm I will defer and go for the yacht interior and think of it as a cocoon away from the world. Then sit outside when I need spaciousness and light. I would be interested to know how you go with all that glass up in Broome and the overall effect of heat coming in. Doesn't it become a little glarey and heated inside? I could also imagine that some coming to visit would have a challenge with not having walls and doors to protect them. Is the concept a Finnish one or just a Rivers one. And I would also think that Vila would be wrapped in having the run of the place or was it built with a big dog in mind? Angie
AnswerID: 558627

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:37

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:37
Hi Angie

The house was specifically designd for the site and the climate. It has big roof overhangs to keep sun out of the house itself and the (6 mm toughened) glass has a grey tint. No glare problems at all.

The floor is polished concrete with a sand colouring and acts as an effective heat sink. We have no air conditioning - nor generally any need for it.

The house sits very naturally on tertiary dunes about 400 metres from the Indian ocean and has been designed such that there is no absolute demarcation between inside and out.

Yes - a few people find it challenging - especially the concept of 15 front doors!

The openess was ours rather than Finnish. The original design was done by a Qld designer that we brought over, but as it proved unbuildable to cyclone ratings we redesigned it very substantially ourselves.

It is so different that no builder in the Kimberley would touch it - so we ended up building it ourselves. Maarit did a fair bit of the welding of the all-steel frame.

Some visitors seem a bit lost in the space, but most people love it. We had no dog in mind at the time as we were concerned about the innumerable wallabies that live around here - but to our pleasure and surprise they co-exist comfortably.

It is a hi-tech house electrically with all 240-volt appliances but runs totally on solar. I'll send post you a couple of pix - direct.
Collyn
AnswerID: 558628

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:38

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:38
Collyn, With that description of your house, you will no doubt have a few Bushtracker owners calling to visit when we are over in your part of the country. If we need any welding we also know where there is a good welder.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558629

Our Sponsors