Shared driving

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:25
ThreadID: 119885 Views:11318 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A mate of mine and his wife are caravanning across Oz from Sydney to Steep Point in West Oz via the Gunbarrel. They have a nice little outfit. A diesel Land Rover Discovery towing a 15 foot Trakmaster pop top van. On the second day of their journey near Wilcania, Graham wanted a break in the driving. Five minutes after taking over the wheel near disaster. Van and vehicle began to sway violently. Graham reached over to struggle with the wheel and brought the vehicle and van under control. This was Grahams wife first serious drive of the unit. It was a close call. The vans tyres were scuffed right up to the wheel rims. Graham attributed the incident to excessive speed and inexperience of his wife driving with the van in tow. We are keeping in touch via HF radio. But a thought occurred to me, what if the ariel bcomes damaged in a collision. No communication. Sat phone might be handy. Coincidentally i heard a similar story on the same day while in the queue at the gates of the Sydney van show. Couple next to us witnessed an accident but not with a happy ending. Husband was unable to drive because of a shoulder injury, handed the keys to his wife who had NEVER driven with the van in tow. A few kms down the road van and vehicle were write offs. Apparently both vehicles rolled several times. The only thing remaining of the van was the chassis. Thankfully injuries were minor. This demonstrates the importance of having two competent drivers. I know of a couple who live on the road with a large van and the wife is the primary driver. In difficult situation the wife takes the wheel and husband sits qietly in the drivers seat. On a brighter note. I was at the show checking out off road vans for Collyn. Had a good look at Bushtrakers. I must say these were the pick of the off roaders. We (wife) and i loved the huge dinning table and large lounges. Table is big enough to be used as work station, office, or serve a multicourse feast. A gas heater was warming one of the vans - what a great unit. I would have dearly loved to bounce on the raised bed, another great idea. Imagine the storage space for stretched out remote camping. Vidas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:34

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:34
Hi Anthony, Santa is going to be very busy at your house this year with a heater and also having a digital on your wish list. I asked BT for a quote on the heater and Steve said around the $2000 mark. As we are going to be in Tassie a fair bit, we have moved that higher up the priority list than an aircon at this stage. And also the aircon will take more to run it and we might be able to make do with a portable fan. We would as a minimum still get the wiring done for the aircon for a later stage if it is not financially possible for next year. (Mind you, if Ivan started charging for people to listen to his bagpipe practice then we might well might have enough for 2 aircons!) Have seen the 12volt Endless Breeze box fan. Anyone had any dealings with these? But with a 1800w inverter and all the other power gear we will have we would prob be able to run a normal 240v fan anyway. Angie
AnswerID: 558636

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:35

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:35
G'day Angie,

$2000 Ouch !!! I dont know if this will influence your decision ... remember the Aircon is reverse cycle so wherever you have power you have a lovely warm van. If you are mainly camping ... yes I can see the heater as a better alternative. You probably know this but along with the wiring you need strengthening in the roof which has to be done at build time to fit air later on ... I believe this charge comes off the aircon price at the later fitting time.

What brand and model of camera did you use for the squirrel .... great shot !!! I can refer it on in triplicate ! <copyboysmile>

Anthony
AnswerID: 558637

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:36

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:36
Hi Anthony, yes the price does seem a little steep. That is with the extra vent into the ensuite as mentioned by Bob (or was that on an email to me?). We are not anticipating being in parks very often (just to do the washing mainly) and so we need to keep thinking about our power options seriously. We will be having a genset. Yes knew about the strengthening of the roof but didn't know that it comes off the later price. This is only Plan B at the moment. Ivan knows I am not good with heat but as long as there is air circulating I can usually sleep. The camera is a Minolta F300 - bit expensive but you should be able to reproduce the same kind of photo with any camera with a lens system. I have heard that the Kodak Easyshare are a good range and able to be used by even the childlike among us (if you get my drift?) Feel free to circulate the squirrel. No copyright there. If you think other photos might help, I have some great people shots I can send through including ones converted to black and white which look great. Angie
AnswerID: 558638

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:37

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:37
How did shared driving end up with squirrels and cameras?
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558639

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:38

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:38
Brian, like all good BOGGER adventures we just turned left and went where the road took us. LOL. Angie
AnswerID: 558640

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:39

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:39
Hey Angie, if Steve wants 2 grand for the heater buy it direct and fit it yourself.
Enough said?
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558641

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:40

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:40
Just a minor correction, Anthony, (it humbles me to say that) but if the plan is to use an Electrolux/Dometic, my understanding is that they are not reverse cycle, but only operate as a heat pump on cool &, I guess, a fan heater to warm. I'm intigued with Gran Turistimo's notion of ducting the heater to the ensuite. We were thinking that with our little "Change room" at the end of the van we could effect the same thing, but it certainly is an alternative. Judgement call as to which would be the most disruptive to good order and disciplin. Am just starting to research the Webasto & their oposition eg Espars Airtronic. Haven't compared specs yet, but an interesting website for those contemplating DIY install is http://www.seacraft.com/webastoAT2000kit.htm Wonder how much of this sort of kit out goes into the BT install? Happy toes Griff
AnswerID: 558642

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:41

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:41
PS on that last, Tracy suggests the OEM fuel tank runs to about $350 - way out there. I will be investigating some stainless boat fuel tanks that our company has been using for years in automotive applications, by Sailmaster. I'll advise details once I have confirmed dimensional requirements from BT. I'll also see whether a fuel filter is advisable. Sho Griff
AnswerID: 558643

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:42

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:42
Griff,
You got me there I assumed that they were a reverse cycle (swapping condenser and evap over) but you might be right .... it might have a heater element. I thought that was the realm of commercial units only. If it has an element for heat it makes it very inefficient ..... MMMmm !!! Standby !! To the Batmobile .... <lyssavirusgrin>

Anthony
AnswerID: 558644

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:43

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:43
PS

With a rated 3kw cooling and 1.6kw heating suggests an element ! 13500btu cool V 5600btu heat says element. As you know a heat pump is better at heating than cooling. Give me a Daikin anytime ! <wink>

Anthony
AnswerID: 558645

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:44

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:44
Yeah, Anothony, the efficiency thing was certainly my take on the thing - definately cause for a melt-down. Its why I'm particularly taken with Turist's little floor-level-outlet Ram jet/turbo/afterburner - not to mention the basic inefficiency of trying to heat anything from the top down. Fried brains with cold toes - isn't that the statistician's definition of being on average comfortable? Watch those BTU's Griff
AnswerID: 558646

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:45

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:45
By the way, I'm hanging out for some smarty to come along & try to out-macho you F's & OKA's with a U5000 Unimog - not fast on the h'way, but probably hell on wheels on the by-ways. Good for a tolerant chuckle Griff
AnswerID: 558647

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:46

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:46
Griff, Griff, Griff,

When will you learn ..... it's not a macho thing ... its a comfort zone thing !
(700nm@1800rpm smile>

Anthony

AnswerID: 558648

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:47

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:47
Oh no, I thought it was a speed thing! Angie
AnswerID: 558649

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:48

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:48
Hey, Anothy, check the specs on the big Mogger Donk! Griff
AnswerID: 558650

Our Sponsors