Defining requirements for future BT

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:04
ThreadID: 119889 Views:5417 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have been following your forum since it’s beginning and found the advice and information very informative. My wife and I intend to travel Australia for about 8 months of every year and hopefully do the sort of trips that have been reported in the BT forum. I have been researching caravan quality and accessories for about the last 12 months (and of course just as confused as ever). Collyns books have been very helpful in this regard. We recently visited BT and reviewed their manufacturing processes and quality. There does not appear to be much else in the market that meets the BT workmanship. We plan to purchase a BT, in about 12 months, that is about the 18" range and contains all the services to meet extended stays off road. We are reasonably experienced holiday type caravanners but have not had the time for any of the big trips. Other potential buyers have sought your assistance and asked for various suggestions about the BT. However, I would like to find out about what people have requested or changed in their BT when they were being constructed, and why? What would you change in your BT now if you had the opportunity? What have you changed since to make your BT more comfortable, and why. I am very interested in your experiences with your BTs. Also, I have noted that a lot of the BT owners are towing with F250s. My preference is to tow with a Toyota Cruiser diesel turbo as it is a smaller vehicle for around town use. The 18’ BT gross weight is expected to be about 3000kg. I would appreciate any thoughts that forum members might have on the strengths and weaknesses of the two vehicles. Thankyou, Dusky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:06

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:06
Hello Dusky, We recently collected our 20' Bushtracker and spent 3 weeks driving home to Melbourne, trying everything out and getting used to the 'van and to towing it. In the Documents folder on this forum (have a look on the left hand column of the screen), I filed a document which sets out our likes, dislikes and "wish we'd thought of that". If you have trouble accessing the document, let me know and we can work out another way of getting it to you. On the subject of tow vehicle, we are currently towing with a Lexus LX470 (4.7l V8 petrol engine, same as the new engine in 100 Series). You know you've got 3 tonne on the back, and one of the reasons is you can watch the fuel gauge go down! However, it tows fine. Like you, I want something smaller than F250. I have been researching developments in "Common Rail" diesel engines. Jeep, VW etc are starting to release this technology in Australian models. A VW SUV (Touareg??) will be released here later this year. It's a bit smaller than a Landcruiser with a 5l v10 Turbo Diesel common rail engine developing about 225kw and 700Nm! Can only be amatter of time before Toyota/Nissan also release this technology
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558660

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:07

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:07
Dusky
Check the postings on 24/4/03. "Changes to your setup"
There may be some answers for you in that string.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 558661

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:08

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:08
Hi Dusky, We intend to tow our 18' Bushtracker when it is ready (due in July) with a Landcruiser 100 series turbo diesel. We will keep you posted about towing performance with the bushtracker. We have towed an 18' poptop for the last two years, firstly with a Patrol and for the last 9 months with the cruiser. The Toyota is a far better vehicle for towing, we can still leave traffic behind when accelerating away from traffic lights with the van in tow. I realise that we won't get this performance with the bushtracker, but we won't be in a hurry to go anywhere. Paul & Barb.
AnswerID: 558662

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:09

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:09
We have had our 21Ft Bushtracker for nearly 2years. When we bought it we had a 100series turbo diesel. It towed the van alright but ocassionally when large trucks overtook you felt the wind push the van. When we changed to the F250 twin cab we no longer got any pushing affect from trucks. I believe that the F250 armchairs are more comfortable than the Landcruiser, but driving around town the F250 is a bugger to park in shopping centres or turning sharp corners (17.5m turning circle) . When towing however the F250 with its longer wheel base gives a much better ride, has a lot more powerthan the Toyota, and Better fuel economy. On open road we get about 20L/100 in F250 compared to 25L/100 in Toyota towing the same van. I believe that the closer the weight of the towing vehicle to that of the trailer the more stable the whole set up is. After having an F250 I would never go back to the Landcruiser if your main purpose for having it is to tow a large van. We now have a Corolla for doing the shopping.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558663

Reply By: Dusky - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:10

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:10
Motley, Thankyou for all the info I will take your tips as well as the other on board. I tried several times to get into your document, but with out success. Would it be possible to e-mail it to me? Once again thanks, Dusky
AnswerID: 558664

Our Sponsors