Rear View Camera

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:51
ThreadID: 119897 Views:5945 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to Motley and Graham for their input ....

I have now fitted a camera to rear of BT and a colour LCD screen (5.6inch) on dash. Camera is mounted just below RHS clearance light. It would be much easier to install at build time rather than later as I did.

Camera - Axis Model ECC-80R
Screen - Necvox FD-2560

Cost with 20m cable was $990. As I installed mine myself I dont know installation cost but would imagine $200 should pull it up.
Great to have a colour screen in dash showing cars behind ....

Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:53

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:53
This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.
AnswerID: 558684

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:54

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:54
G'Day George,

I have not had to drill one hole in BT to fit camera. Camera mount as follows ...

I cut a piece of 6mm aluminium plate 150mm x 50mm, dressed the corners. I attached the camera bracket to this plate by drilling and tapping 4 x 4mm threaded holes to accept 4mm socket head cap screws in button head. These bolts stop flush with rear of plate. The plate was painted white and attached to van with Sikaflex 11-FC in white.
The plate was attached just below RHS clearance light 50mm from edge of grey and white exterior panel beading. This beading has a white channel cover that pulls out and reveals a space that you can run the coaxial cable in .... this is how the cable gets to the front. I made a small hole in the white beading, next to the edge closest to camera, the size of the cable and then snipped a line to the hole to allow cable to pass through.

Most cameras have a din socket to connect the 20m cable to run to the front. These sockets are about 19mm in diameter so obviously wont fit in the beading. You have two ways to go here ...you can undo camera housing and cut off din sockets and wire cable straight into camera. This makes it hard to service camera in the future as the cable cannot be disconnected easily and is a job for experienced car sound techs. I decided to keep them in cable by using a piece of angle and shs to cover it ...
The cable coming from the camera to plug is about 1m long so lets the socket cover be placed out of sight on roof of BT. The same way the cable enters the beading I exited the cable out on the roof just before the plug .... I attached a piece of 25mmx25mm angle about 100mm longer than the two plugs joined to the roof 50mm in from edge of beading with Sikafex 11-fc and let harden. Before attaching I placed a piece of 25mmx25mm Square Hollow Section the same length against angle and drilled a 3.25mm rivet hole at each end on the top edge of angle. The shs covers the plug from UV and harsh weather etc and attaches by rivets so that if you need to take plug apart you can drill out rivets releasing shs from angle slide shs up cable to expose plugs and undo.

When using sikaflex use alcohol to clean all surfaces and use masking tape allround piece that is being attached with a 1mm gap. After it goes off use a blade to cut along edge carefully and remove tape for a neat finish. I have also wrapped a self amalgamating tape around the water proof plug as a precaution. Its the same tape used on the plugs of a HF radio aerial connectors.

Cable runs all the way to front via beading exiting at the front corner of van where I then ran cable in 7mm convoluted tubing across front 50mmx 25mm spar to chassis then along andersen plug conduit and piggy backed along main plug cable. I used a water proof marine connector to split coax at towbar.

I dont know how handy you are ... if you decide to get it fitted by a tech print this out and give to him just to stop holes being drilled in BT.....
Can post some pics, if you want them, when mate comes over with digital camera

Hope this helps
Anthony
AnswerID: 558685

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:55

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:55
Anthony wrote: "Can post some pics, if you want them, when mate comes over with digital camera"

Angie wrote: Still not convinced SWMBO eh Anthony? What's the go for Mothers Day? Is it a bad time to mention I got a new digicam last Saturday ready for my holidays. Want Angie to take the photos for you?
AnswerID: 558686

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:56

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:56
Nearly forgot to ask Anthony - how was the weekend away? Angie
AnswerID: 558687

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:57

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:57
Trouble is Angie the camera I want is not the camera I need according to Swmbo !
Eldest daughter went around camp on weekend taking a few 35mm film shots. Here is my "in" ... I quipped to Swmbo ... We should buy eldest daughter a digital camera as she is developing an interest in pics. Swmbo agreed !!! Looking at sub $500 for daughter to use whilst away in BT. As she already has megaputer in room at eight years will have no difficulty taking and downloading a few shots for dad !!! <smile>

Weekend away was one of the best campgrounds we've been to in 10 years. Two pics in my album for ya !!
Anthony
AnswerID: 558688

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:58

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:58
This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.
AnswerID: 558689

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:59

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:59
G'day George,

Just one thing before you start re: camera purchase ... just make sure that the camera has the image reversed. Some do this by Jumper Switches some by wiring. My camera came as normal and I'm having to alter it now. With the camera reversed .... when you look at screen on dash and a car overtakes they move from left to right of screen like the rear view mirror.

Some screens have the ability to reverse image the screen I used doesnt so have to change camera. This is being done free of charge by the supplier .... involves taking the cover off and tinkering <smile>. Because they do it I will retain warranty.

I'll get a few pics on the go ..... re: Cania .... I'll gladly share a glass of red.

Regards
Anthony
AnswerID: 558690

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:00

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:00
George,

Some pics of camera install now in my album.Bushtracker Stuff - n - About.

Regards
Anthony
AnswerID: 558691

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:01

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:01
While at Sound in Motion (Noosa) I was shown a Vehicle Navigation & Entertainment system made by VDO Dayton. It has GPS satelite navegation Australia wide that gives locations of Parks, Post Offices, Shopping centres, restaurants and can store private addresses along with numerous other things. It can also have Television, DVD and games linked to it and would you believe a rear view video camera as well. Basic model is only $4000. In about 2 months time the new model with latest CD will be available and that will have street number addresses located as well.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558692

Our Sponsors