Portable E-Mail

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:45
ThreadID: 119908 Views:4674 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard that there is a small device that you can attach to a public phone or your mobile to send and recieve e-mail.
Anyone got any info on this system.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:47

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:47
Bob, I think it is called pocket mail. I met a Bushtracker owner in Finley 18 months ago and he had one His name is Peter Manton he was driving a 100 series Toyota with 18ft Bushtracker, and his email address is pmanton@pocketmail.com.au I sent him a message when the site first started but he hasn't joined yet so you can give him another invite when you email him. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558702

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:48

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:48
Do any members use a laptop together with a mobile phone to send and retrive emails. I know that this is an expensive option, but would only be used when necessary. After connecting the phone to the laptop how do you log on?, as there will be no dial tone the laptop will not know that it is connected. Do I have to get different software?. If anyone has any solution I would be interested to here from them. Paul & Barb.
AnswerID: 558703

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:49

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:49
We have a CDMA phone and went to the Telstra shop and bought a special cable to connect phone to Laptop. It came with a CD to load into laptop so that they could talk to each other. I used it while at Cania Gorge and it worked fine, just the same as land line except slower, so you really only use it for e-mails and then afterhours use will be cheaper.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558704

Reply By: Motley - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:50

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:50
Paul & Barb, Depending upon operating system, you need to establish a new netwoek dial up connectrion which points to the mobile phone as the modem. The connection can be cable, infrared or Bluetooth. Depending on the phone you are using, the modem conectivity software is usually available visa the manufacturers website. I use a Nokia and the software can be downloaded. When you initiate the dial up connection, the software takes care of the rest. Any queries, give me a call Pete (aka Motley)
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 558705

Our Sponsors