Breakaway Electric Brakes

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:34
ThreadID: 119916 Views:9882 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I read on this Board somewhere about the NSW RTA requirement for a visual or audible warning system in the proximity of the drvier, to warn if the trailer batteries are not sufficiently charged to effectively operate the electric breakaways . Never heard of this one before! but checking the NSW RTA site, it unfortuantely does exist and was subject to a Bulletin back in 1998.. See http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vib06.pdf The extraordinary thing is that my van was inspected and approved by an RTA officer (after transferring plates from Qld to NSW), and this was never considered - thank goodness. I have had a subsequent annual inspection, and again, never considered. I am not going to get one of these warning devices installed (I was always check the condition of my batteries via inspection of the BT solar/power control panel whenever I stop) - but I will get my reg'n inspections done at least a few weeks before the due date just in case I find that I get a reject and have to head off to the auto electricians. Not sure of the rules in other States, but here in bureaucratiuc NSW any vehicle over 2000kgs has to be inspected every 12 months. What's worse, if you are travelling interstate, too bad, as the RTA doesn't recognise interstate inspectors.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:36

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:36
Flipp'n, wrote: "requirement for a visual or audible warning system in the proximity of the drvier", Angie wrote: That's right, and her name is Lorraine!!
AnswerID: 558751

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:37

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:37
To Angie, I like that - especially given that Lorraine took over the role of the fuel gauge many, many years ago. She checks that we aren't going to run out of fuel about every 2 hours!
AnswerID: 558752

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:38

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:38
The co-driver is a very good cheap option for visual reactions for close calls (hard to miss the body language), and audible warning systems like "mind the pedestrian" or "are you sure you are going the right way?". Now if only I can get Ivan to not look like he's going to have a spasm while I am driving I will have the best of both worlds. Angie
AnswerID: 558753

Our Sponsors