Anthony's hitch

Submitted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 02:37
ThreadID: 119918 Views:4738 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anthony Having looked around and spoken to a few people, I have not previously been able to find a hitch for weight distribution bars for a Bushtracker. Even people from Hayman Reese have looked at me rather strangely. Could you please let me know where you got them and the rough cost. A dealer(?) around Sydney would be good. I have taken a copy of your photo and maybe that will help the dummies. As an aside, glad to see a site like this. My wife and I wished there was something like this when we first ordered our van back in June 2001. Regards Jeff (aka Bruce)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 02:39

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 02:39
Jeff, I have attached some photos of the swivelling type tow connection used prior to September 2001. There is No way to connect weight distribution to this type of coupling that I know of. There are also photos of the current couplings used by B/T but mine being one of the first does Not have any grease nipples. My hayman Reese setup is the same coupling used by on-road vans except I have the AT35 connection instead of the ball and another small bolt at the back stops it turning. This is a very good connection and has a safety clip to prevent pin coming out even if the pin at the bottom is not in place. Weight Distribution equipment works well with this setup.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558769

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 02:40

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 02:40
G'day Jeff,

My HR setup has two heads instead of one and uses a 10mm plate to attach the lower head.
I made the plate ... so they might look at you strange when they see that and the two heads.
Because I use a HR towbar (mounted higher on vehicle) and have a 150mm chassis on BT I had to drop the bars to swing under the chassis or they would foul. This is my Mk 1 setup Mk 2 is on drawing board ... at this stage Mk2 involves mounting the AT35 below the BT plate and using a spacer between them to just clear the chassis.
As Brian has stated I'd change to the AT35 as a matter of improvement and if you have a 100mm chassis you should be able to run the same setup as Brian.
I'm waiting for a pic of Bob's setup when finished as he now has the 150mm chassis. In the meantime my Mk1 works fine ...

Anthony
AnswerID: 558770

Reply By: Wadefarers - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 02:41

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 02:41
Anthony Many thanks for your's and all the other guy's input regarding the WDH. I finally found a guy at Narellan 4WD in Sydney that knew what I was talking about. I must admit that I was armed with pictures you guys had posted on the site. I will have to have the jockey wheel moved back to accommodate. Any suggestions?? I have noted comments about whether to weld (or not to weld) (sic) and/or the use of U bolts. Jeff
AnswerID: 558771

Our Sponsors