Hot Topic (at least at our place)

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:51
ThreadID: 119919 Views:4331 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Vox Pop please. Who has oven as well as stove/grill fitted? Why? Do you use the oven? Why/why not? If no oven (which gets you a lurvely big pot drawer), any recomendations on stove top & grills? BT standard good stuff? Swmbo would rather swallow slugs through her nose than cook a roast, if that's of any help in the recommendations criteria. Thanks Griff PS open for suggestions on BBQ. Gas (I presume), though I always loved getting a good bed of coals going.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:53

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:53
Griff, We have the Caprice(?) stove with hotplates, grill and oven. Oven already justified when Mrs Motley (Jan) whipped up a batch of scones during one particularly bleak, wet, cold morning tea stop on the side of the road. The way I see it, the oven still serves as a storage area with the added flexibility being that you can cook in it, whereas you can't cook in a Pot Drawer. As far as cooking goes, we will carry a number of devices which we see being employed in different places and situations: BT Hotplates, Oven etc as last resort (wet, cold, no campfires etc or even 'coz can't be bothered doing anything else) Microwave installed in BT - Rice, thawing 30 year old Companion Gas Stove with a Hot Plate (outside, no campfires allowed or no wood or fire ban) Combined Grill and Hotplate over open fire (wherever possible) Two different size camp Ovens (when there's time and firewood - everything from roasts, curries, bread, desserts, you name it!)
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558772

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:54

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:54
I have the same as Motley and use the oven quite a bit even though I carry a Coleman kitchen and stove to cook outside. I mainly use the oven as a warming drawer .... while away this last weekend it was a bit cool in the morning …after the bacon and tomatoes were done on the outside stove they went in the oven to keep warm while the eggs went on and the kids were rounded up. I also whip up a batch of roast potatoes to have with steak etc and have done the odd damper, cake, when time doesnt allow to get a good bed of coals.

The stove top doesnt have enough grunt to do any more than boil a billy or small saucepans for boiling. Trying to boil 500g of pasta is a no go and gets done on the big stove outside. Would also be messy using a frying pan on stove top and hard to get cooking smell outta curtains ! <smile>

I also carry a 60l drum, cut in half lengthways with four detachable legs, to use as a fire drum. Over this goes a half plate half grill ... needs minimal wood .... doesnt scar ground if on grass and gets stoked up at night to keep warm.

Anthony

AnswerID: 558773

Reply By: Wadefarers - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:55

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:55
Griffon We have the same as Motley and Anthony and find it very good. Bruce's mum (Helen) has used oven for a cake and was very good. She also preferred the Caprice because it looked nicer We have cooked on the stove and have not had any problems with splatter, maybe because our stove is at the rear and have exhaust fan fitted. Most times when NOT in a caravan park we would cook on an open fire using an all in one home made swing away unit with hot plate, grill and kettle (billy) holder, use the camp ovens (4) or use a Hot Ozi BBQ (very good), that we bought from KMart, under the awning if it's wet or can't be bothered with the open fire. Also carry a two burner Companion in the truck for off road etc. Jeff
AnswerID: 558774

Our Sponsors