bustracker undercarriage

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:43
ThreadID: 119924 Views:4657 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, after seeing Brians photos of his BT undercarriage when lying on the road, is it my imagination or does the BT cabling seem a little exposed to flying rocks and other debris that could damage it especially on dirt roads? What is to stop something from severing a vital cable or piece of wiring? Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:45

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:45
Inteligent and perceptive! Is there no end to talent? Yeah, I noticed it too. I've always been a wee titly obsessive about cable looms, conduit, trays and other bundling/protective measures consistant with ease of access (after all, neatness counts). No good having great access for servicing, however, if it is the exposure that caused the damage in the first place. Will have to look into this when we go up to the factory. 'On ya, Ange Griff
AnswerID: 558800

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:46

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:46
The only things that are exposed are the water pipes and as each tank has a seperate fill hose and seperate hose to the pump, if something did happen to puncture one then you still have the other tanks. The drain hoses from sink is not that important. The electrical cables are in the chassis back to the wheels where they then have to be routed through insulation to the brakes, and that part is supplied to Bushtracker from Simplicity with cables already covered. I think you are worrying about nothing Angie. Go and make Ivan a cuppa with one of Dick Smiths' lookalike Tim Tams. Can't go supporting the Yanky owned tim tams that are taking an Aussie to court for making a better biscuit.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558801

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:47

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:47
Angie,

I lay under a BT for quite some time that cruised the Gibb River road twice it was an eye opener. I have to admit to only seeing it after the first trip but after a few mods was ok after the second trip.

From stone damage the first thing that went was any cable tie made of plastic ... these were replaced with stainless steel ties with no further prob. The rocks hit them on the vertical surfaces severing them like a chisel.

The front vertical surface of the front water tank was bashed in from rocks just like someone had peened it with a hammer ... as a consequence the tek screws had begun to "pull" quick fix was more screws of bigger diameter. Real fix is to mount tanks with strapping then cover with protective sheet metal. I believe screws were pulling because peening had stretched metal causing the tank to move up and down on corrugations .... 80kg up and down would pull screws. Straps are now installed. I also believe that a gap should exist between sheet metal and tank in stone country so you can check and remove stones before they wear through plastic tank. This is only an idea on my part someone with real gibber experience might comment further.

Rocks hitting floor just in front of tank had caused funny track lines in timber just looked like a Dingo was scratching to get through to food. Checkerplate cut and sikaflexed to area halted this in its tracks. A piece of checkerplate was also attached at an angle of 45 degrees just in front of tank to deflect stones downward.

I intend to strap my tanks before doing any serious gibber country and in hindsight this should be standard on BTers. If they can come up with a serious engineering arguement to not do it .... fair enough.

All water hoses and wiring etc seemed fine .... the only other thing from memory was that the handbrake cable wore through the eye on the chassis. Some sacrificial hose here to stop wear would do the trick. This was not a result of stones but just wear over time.

This is extreme stuff .... my BT will prob never see it !!

Anthony

AnswerID: 558802

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:48

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 05:48
Sorry guys, I was still getting over the comment by Griffon: "Inteligent and perceptive! Is there no end to talent?".. Hear that all you other BOGGERS, herein is a man who is also intelligent and perceptive - learn from him!! Angie
AnswerID: 558803

Our Sponsors