Weight Distribution Gear - More Fuel for the Fire

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:29
ThreadID: 119927 Views:6213 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The June 2003 issue of Caravan and Motorhome (I swore I'd stop buying these mags once I had the van) has an "exclusive, world first release" article about a new type of weight distribution setup specifically designed for off-road vans with off-road couplings. Designed by an engineer at Penmas Engineering in Melbourne. Can't find a website. Looks intriguing. The article say ""it's a constant load anchor designed for larger off-road style vans. ....The basics of the bolt-on kit are a receiver air tank, air bag, two swivel arms and some mounting gear". It all seems to be sitting on the top of the draw bar. I defer to those with greater knowledge of the black arts of weight distribution gear to assess its worth. Article suggests that the kit will sell for around $1500 (there go the Solar Panels, Griff). If anyone can't get a copy of the mag, let me know and I will arrange to get a copy of the article to you..
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:31

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:31
No worries, Mot, I've decided to smuggle in some fuel cells from an unused space shuttle that they have laying around in Florida. Then, if I can talk the Caravan Mag into paying for me to be a guest contributor & guinea pig this new rig, hey, Presto!, power & WDR taken care of with change for the power amp for the portable home cinema. Any ideas on the best way to store the Plasma screen TV? It was suggested that a Tv could be strapped to the bed for transport, but I don't think the Queen bed will be long enough. Problems, problems, problems! Hanging on you every word Griff
AnswerID: 558806

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:32

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:32
Griff,
Didn't they tell you about the projector hatch that can be fitted above the nearside wheels? And how it lets you project your home cinema images onto the underside of the awning while you watch through the windows? It's an essential extra, Griff - and so long as you can manage without a tow vehicle for the first year or so, it's really quite affordable.....
AnswerID: 558807

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:33

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:33
I had a look at that Pete and considered it for awhile. In the end decided it was bulky and the air bag was a bit exposed. Any leaky fittings would make it harder to look after than a non-filled jockey tyre.
The other thing that worried me was the speed that you need a WDH I'd hate to come to mound of dirt that big, that quick, at that angle. If approach, departure and rampover angles are getting this serious you would be in low range and negotiating it rather than driving over it. Admittedly it could be said that with that much ball weight a WDH would be safer at all speeds and you have not got the hassle of taking bars off and on to get to that ultimate spot.

Until my Mk2 hitch is made I carry a spare standard HR hitch with an AT35 on it if I need more clearance.

Anthony
AnswerID: 558808

Our Sponsors