Birdsville Track

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:51
ThreadID: 119929 Views:4285 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone towed their Bushtracker down the Birdsville track? We will be going out to Birdsville and then down to the Flinders Ranges in early June and would be interested in any places that others have found are good to camp at, or places to visit.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wadefarers - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:53

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:53
Brian Have only been out in the Cruiser but stayed just outside Birdsville by the river. Was quite nice there but worthwhile going to the pub for a meal if you didn't want to cook. We were sorry we didn't go. The track to Marree is quite good (shouln't be a problem for a BT) and the camp spot at Mungerannie by the water is nice. (Didn't cost much from memeory). You could probably find a free spot along the track, the choice is yours. On the way down to the Flinders, if you are into pies, the cake shop in Copley used to sell some beauties, chicken & white wine and kangaroo & red wine. The Flinders has a great spot a Brachina Gorge but as we were tenting, I can't remember if there was enough clearance for a BT. If there is, it is quite nice. There are several spots for normal cars and spots further up along the river for 4X4's. You could walk up to check it out. Jeff
AnswerID: 558813

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:54

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:54
Hello Brian, I have an Excel file that I have cobbled together. Some of the information has come from the CMCA organization, some from experience and a lot from word of mouth. The file is a series of references tied back to the Hema 5000 series road maps. It makes some references to that area. Contact us at john.sandra.charlton@ausi.com if you want a copy. We usually access emails via public libraries & internet cafes about once a month but we are in Cairns until 25 May and have private comp access. Hope to hear from you. John and Sandra
AnswerID: 558814

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:55

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:55
Thanks John & Sandra, I would like a copy. I have tried to send you an e-mail direct but it gets returned unable to be delivered. My e-mail is bmfox@tpg.com.au
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 558815

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:56

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:56
The Birdsville track is a hiway. U will have no difficulty towing allong the track unless it rains then u will have some fun. There are two desiginated camps along the track with facilities (flush toilets etc) One at Cooper Creek and the other about 50 km north of Marree. Both are well used. U can bush camp anywhere but its pretty exposed. We bush camped on a creek (Tippipille Ck) about 186km south of Birds. Had the place to ourselves. Lost our trailer plug here on a stick or something and drove without brakes until Lyndhurst where i managed to buy a new one. I had to shorten the wiring because of damage and from then on had to take care when making right hand turns .The Birdsville Track has numerous creek crossings. These all have stony bottoms so u wont get bogged. There are no sand drifts and the sand ridges are all stabilised now. U will encounter kilometer after kilometer of rocks ( u will be crossing Sturts Stony Desert).Be carefull of punctures. Tyre repair outfits do good business at both ends of the track. In some places the gibber plains extend to the horizon on both sides of the track. Just befor u reach Mungerannie Roadhouse u will see some interesting stony hills which u might want to explore. At Lake Harry climb the big hill. for a great view. Take your time and stop at anything that u find interesting. If u have kids watch out for the hot water bores. Vidas
AnswerID: 558816

Reply By: Motley - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:57

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:57
John and Sandra, I have also tried to contact you via e-mail but it no work. I will also be on Birdsville Track in July. Could you please send a copy to me a peter.spring@bigpond.com Thanks Pete (aka Motley)
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 558817

Our Sponsors