Weight Distribution Setup

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:42
ThreadID: 119931 Views:5919 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our new BT 20' has a drawbar 200mm wide at the pointy end.
The Hayman Reese W/D gear works fine with the hitch on the topside of the mounting plate.
If a jackknife reverse is attempted the bars will just strike on the lower section of the 150 x 50 RHS.
Normally bars are disconnected prior to attempting to jackknife the trailer, I just did it to test the system.
Normal manourvering around corners and in traffic is fine.
In my case the Hayman Reese hitch is set at the highest setting and the F250 tailgate just misses when fully open.
The only reason to fit the coupling on the underside would be to lower the hitch for more tailgate clearance.
Hope this takes the worry away from those yet to collect thier BT as we can now confirm that the newer 200mm wide bar is ok.
It seems that the hitch needs to be fitted on the underside for Cruisers (Motley) and Patrols (Jeff) and on the topside is ok for F250's
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:44

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:44
Turist suggests that the AT35 coupling probably needs to be set on the underside for Landcruisers because of the need for tailgate clearance. I am yet to fit my AT35 and WDH and will confirm later, but from casual inspection I reckon I have ample room for tailgate clearance.<o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> One of the things that doesn't seem to have figured in this conversation (about 200mm, versus getting a 100mm welded extension), is the relevance of whether the van is fitted with a standard A-frame or an extended A-frame, such as when carrying jerry cans. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> An extended A-frame is going to be more angularly acute (ie pointy), and in the normal course would increase the likelihood of the WDH bars fouling. With an acute angle, the distribution bars are closer to a parallel position (than with the standard A-frame), and therefore closer together at the front of the A-frame).<o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Yet, interestingly, Turist has an extended A-frame and has no fouling problems.<o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> I have a Landcruiser with an extended A-frame on my BT, 200mm wide at the front, so will re-post when I am able to report what problems were experienced and if I had to invert the coupling as per Motley.<o:p></o:p>
AnswerID: 558824

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:45

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:45
Geez Phil you get a turtle stamp for that .... As I have the extended a frame I've only been dealing with mine. You are right I've done a quick drawing of the two. Using 2500mm as the length from the bend on the chassis to the front of the plate as the extended length and 2100mm as the normal A frame. 200mm as the plate width and 1670 as the distance between the two at the bend (outside dimension). I estimate the difference between the two a-frames to be 3.5 degrees from the perpendicular (centre line) making a difference of approx 18mm gap on each side of a-frame between bar and frame. Normal is 69 deg and ex is 72.5 deg approx from the perp. My bars foul by about 20mm with 220 width.
The bars should go straight on a normal chassis .... now I know Motley's secret. I cant see the wood for the trees. <smile>

My problem is still my A-frame being 220mm at front and the HR hitch bar centres are at 130mm.

You have now given me another idea ... I might try a bar across the A-frame to make the chain couplers more outboard from their present position ... might only be 60mm out per side. Angle of bars might be too obtuse for hitch to work ... have to check with HR about limit.

Regards
Anthony

AnswerID: 558825

Reply By: Wadefarers - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:46

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:46
After seeing and talking to Turist on Saturday ( thanks for the time Bob and was nice to put a face to a name), I came away with a good perspective on a WDH and, I believe, why you should have it. One thing I didn't know about was my AT35 hitch which was an old model and needs to be changed (again thanks Bob). One comment about the postion of the AT35 being on the underside or on the top. This can depend on the springs you have. As I have super heavy duty springs with considerable lift at the back, my LC has the hitch on the topside. The only trouble with that is the dropping of the tailgate which doesn't quite come down to level creating a problem opening the drawers. Maybe with the change to Hayman Reese WDH this may alter, will have to wait and see. Jeff
AnswerID: 558826

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:47

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:47
An update to my posting of 24/5. Today I set to fitting my new AT35 coupling and WDH. Tailgate clearance on the Landcruiser is not an issue at all (tho' vehicle is higher than normal due to airbags), but the WDH bars foul badly on the A-frame when the tow coupling is fitted to the top of the A-frame. Wiill have to set mine up inverted in same way as Motley. PS: my A-frame is 200mm wide at the front, but is extended length for jerrycans.
AnswerID: 558827

Reply By: Andy1 - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:48

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:48
Turist et al Having been catching up on the various postings I have been a bit puzzled by this WDH discussion which revolves about the width of the end of the A-frame. Our van is about a year old & is 200mm at the end of the A-frame but then has the hitch plate overhanging by about 40mm so the actual width at the end of the plate where the coupling is fitted is 180mm. I understood that this is now standard on all BTs, if not it should be. Ours is the extended A-frame, for the non-extended a greater overhang will be required. The "simple" solution is to just weld on an overhanging plate but the problem is of course the wiring. Jockey wheel positioning remains an issue. I think that the Maco Mule Jockey wheel can be prrchased with a movable bracket but am not sure as we had our bracket moved & so when we purchased a Maco Mule to upgrade I just had it set up to fit the existing pin. Graham & Jan Went into your van last week, looking pretty damn good - with that fridge at the rear be careful you have some tow ball weight when you start. I had not read this posting carefully when we were at BT so am not sure if you have the overhang at the tip of the A-frame. Do you know the width at the coupling? Angie & other prospective owners This may have already been covered in other postings - if we were starting again I would have a snap-on gas coupling fitted on the annexe side at about half way under annexe to make outside cooking easier. We use a 2m hose from the cylinders - curry making, deep frying & even bacon & eggs etc needs to be done outside. Andy
AnswerID: 558828

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:49

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:49
Andy,
That gas tip should go into the Hints/Tips section for future reference by those who are still looking, puzzling and slowly edging towards making the big decision.

All,
It seems that WDH is a must-have. Can somebody distill all the inverting, extending, welding and grinding into a Hints/Tips posting that tells us what should be specified when ordering a BT for what seem to be the tow vehicles of choice (LC and Ford)? Or has BT already addressed the issue in its current production?

AnswerID: 558829

Reply By: Wadefarers - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:50

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:50
Hi All Has anyone got a comment (especially the gurus like Turist, Brian and Anthony) on the WDH and bars shown in the June issue of C &M attached to the BT by David Pentreath. The idea looks good, if only a bit pricey. Just as a matter of interest, there was also a note on the page opposite about a new AT35 hitch. Jeff
AnswerID: 558830

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:51

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:51
G'day Jeff,

Some comments here .....

Weight Distribution Gear - More Fuel for the Fire on the 9th May.

I think the new AT35 is the integral handbrake jobbie and maybe some minor alteration regarding the secondary locking mechanism height ? Same capacity.

Anthony
AnswerID: 558831

Reply By: Wadefarers - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:52

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:52
Thanks for that Anthony, and I note and agree with what you said there. And AT35 was about the handbrake jobbie from memory. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 558832

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:53

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 04:53
It certainly is an interesting setup, that David Pentreath has invented. I have sent him a direct e-mail informing him of the BOG site and letting him know about the Cania Gorge camp. It would be good if he can come and show us all his new set up. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558833

Our Sponsors