Track surface conditions

Submitted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:27
ThreadID: 119934 Views:9767 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everybody, Sandra and I are intending to take a run down the Strzeleki Track to S.A., then up to Oodnadatta via William Creek. After that we are unsure of the surface conditions, we had hoped to go to Dalhoushe Springs, Mt.Dare, Finke, Old Andado and Alice Springs. Does anybody know what the track conditions are like? We intend to take the 14' BT over this route. We probably will be in SA around Christmas and Alice June. I say probably as any plans we have made in the past seem to fall apart and six months to a year can be added. We get sidetracked by almost anything. I know some of you have been out this way, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:29

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:29
Try this site http://www.exploreoz.com/Splash.asp as that gives very good information on tracks throughout Australia. We travelled the Oodnadata track in August a couple of years ago in 4WD only, and there were 2 wheel drive cars towing caravans on it. With a 4WD and Bushtracker you won't have a problem. The track out to Dalhousie should be OK for a Bushtracker if you take it slow. Not sure about the temperaturs at Christmas time though.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558839

Reply By: Wadefarers - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:30

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:30
Have only been that way tenting (old days) in the 4x4. I presume you are going through Innaminka. If so, a stop on the common along the Cooper is fantastic. About 40 k from Innaminka the road gets a bit sandy before you turn to the right but should be ok. After Moomba the road was corrugated for about 150 k, which rattled the bones a bit, but otherwise ok. As Brian said the Oodnadatta is fine. The road from Dalhousie to Mt Dare is ok and also from there to Finke. Depends how you go from Finke. Crossing the river (dry!!!) was hard work as very soft sand. Didn't go to Old Andado but went up to Chambers Pillar and on to Alice following the old Ghan line. If you go that way, watch out for the rail spikes that still lie on the road. Brian's comments about the temp is spot on. Can get to 50+ in the shade around William Creek in December so Jan & Feb would be as bad or worse. The wear and tear on the tow vehicle could be tough in those temps so be prepared. Jeff
AnswerID: 558840

Our Sponsors