LPG Cylinder Info

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2003 at 00:58
ThreadID: 119944 Views:4183 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,

As my barby cylinders are due for test I have been researching re -testing verses new cylinders. Over the last few years cyl have been getting thinner and thinner. The older cyl are about 4mm thick some of the new about 2mm. As part of the retesting any sort of dent is cause for rejection. So the newer cyl are failing at a greater rate because they are easily dented. Quite a few older cyl are on their 3rd test (thirty years) so if you have older cyl keep them. We are also looking for impact resistance having them mounted right where the stones fly up.

Cost for re-test with a normal valve about $27.50
Cost for re-test with a valve with gauge about $34.50

New 9kgs with a gauge is about $80 and they are thin and might not pass muster at test time.

Just a word about the new poly/fibreglass cylinders .... The 10kg is about $250 to buy and needs retesting every three years not ten. These cyl might be susceptible to impact damage and are not recommended for A-frame mount for obvious reasons unless a stone guard is protecting them.
Currently no testing facility is able to do these or prob more correctly wants to because the test for fractures might involve sonic or dye testing. Because they are so new testing them is a bit of an unknown quantity. This would change within three years you would think. Maybe the cyl would also be rejected if it was scratched on the poly surface.

Our old cylinders are quite tough, they sit in a steel frame rubbing all day long, have stones pelted at them on dirt roads and come back for more.

Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:00
thanks for this info anthony, i had looked at the new style compolite/composite (?) gas bottles for obvious reasons e.g. they are so lovely and colourful. but will now probably more consider the gas bottles fitted by BT. by the way, are these included in the base cost or are they an extra item? angie
AnswerID: 558918

Reply By: Wadefarers - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:01

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:01
Angie If you got pink cylinders, think how they would match (clash???) with the green (or blue or black) mesh. For a little more colour , perhaps yellow for the spare wheel rims???????? Think how that would go in a colour photo for a BT Members Card??? Love your thoughts Angie (It's all fun isn't it?) Jeff
AnswerID: 558919

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:02

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:02
Angie,

Cylinders are included in cost and mine were even full. Well 18 months ago they were ?
Dont worry about colour matching your attire with the bright coloured cylinders .... I sprayed all my undies LPG silver to match my cylinders. <Gstringgrin>

Anthony
AnswerID: 558920

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:03

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:03
I was talking to Tracey today about gas cyclinders and he pointed out that the ones that they stock have a number 3 inside a circle. This shows how thick the cyclinder is and should be at least 3 to stand up to the rigors of life on a caravan's A frame. They ones that they supply costs them more wholesale than what K-Mart etc are selling theirs for, but the K-Mart ones are only suitable for static use like barbecues. I had to swap one of my good one at a servo on swap & Go because the valve jammed up and couldn't be refilled. I have check the swapped one and it hasn't got a number at all, so next time it neads filling I will have to do another swap for one with a 3 or 4 on it.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558921

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:04

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:04
I thought these numbers only referred to the surface protection not the wall thickness of the cylinder.

1 in circle .... Galvanised
2 in circle .... Organic or Inorganic zinc rich coated and painted
3 in circle .... Sprayed zinc coated and painted
4 in circle .... Commercial painted finish

Number 4 was once not allowed in or on caravans according to the standard. The standard has now been replaced with AS/NZS 1596:1997 ... A cylinder shall not be installed or used unless its suface or protective coating is suitable for its condition of use.
This leaves it open to interpretation by the van manufacturer to fit the appropriate cyl.

My BT supplied cyls are only 3's Made in Thailand and I suspect very thin @ 8.85kg tare.
My campmart supplied barby ones are 2's Made in australia and I suspect very thin @ 7.92 kg tare but they have better protection. As you can see the 2 is thinner than the 3 especially as the two cylinders have very close dimensions and that aint supposed to be if the numbers refer to wall thickness. Same old same old .... you get what you pay for I suppose !

Anthony

AnswerID: 558922

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:05

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:05
There are some real wet blankets around, aren't there Angie? High Tech and pretty. What more could one want? Then along comes our Big Brother & says a big no-no. Philosophically Yours Griff
AnswerID: 558923

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:06

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:06
Griff,

Sarcasm .... the lowest form of wit !!

Anthony
AnswerID: 558924

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:07

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:07
Sarcasm? Not this time - it must be my funny accent that mislead you. Sarcasm - no. Chagrin - definately. I'm just a hopeless techno dweeb frustrated at any sensible advice that precludes me from getting a new toy. I'm just grateful that there's a bunch of goodwilled coves like you around to stop us blundering off into misadventure. Still, can't help the occasional pout, Kid in the Candy Shop Griff
AnswerID: 558925

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:08

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:08
Anthony wrote: "I sprayed all my undies LPG silver to match my cylinders" Angie wrote: ooh err........ too much information Anthony.
AnswerID: 558926

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:09

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:09
I don't think you boys take Angie seriously at all!! Angie
AnswerID: 558927

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:10

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 01:10
I was just re reading my posts and might clarify a few details in case they were misinterpreted.

This bit...
Our old cylinders are quite tough, they sit in a steel frame rubbing all day long, have stones pelted at them on dirt roads and come back for more.

By old I meant steel cyls on our BTs being the old and poly/fglass the new type.

That bit .....
My BT supplied cyls are only 3's Made in Thailand and I suspect very thin @ 8.85kg tare. My campmart supplied barby ones are 2's Made in australia and I suspect very thin @ 7.92 kg tare but they have better protection.

By better protection I mean the outside coating although it can be said the 2or 3 will protect the same. It might be construed that I infer BT cyls are inferior and that is not the case. They pass the Aust standard with flying colours and have coating 3 suitable for van mount.

Anthony

AnswerID: 558928

Our Sponsors