Can of worms .... is the lid on ?

Submitted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 00:13
ThreadID: 119949 Views:3698 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Reposted from KIWI,

OK. If it looks like a can of worms it must be a can of worms.(wink) But, I didn't really mean that we should dump a Q & A forum onto BT; just that an official response or point of view from BT would help put to rest any of the bigger issues. For instance, if the jockey mounts need to be ground off to fit WD gear there must be a reason why BT doesn't make allowance for it. An answer posted here beats fielding a dozen phone calls asking the same question and avoids losing customers who otherwise might start wondering if there's something lacking in the engineering department.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 00:15

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 00:15
To be brutally honest WD hitches were not an official fitment at BT when I picked mine up circa Nov 01. I knew enough about WD hitches at the time to order my BT with 30 inches of a frame before jockey wheel mount plate was welded on . I think mine was one of the very first if not first to have WD fitted. Not sure when Bobs first van had its fitted ?
As far as I know the jockey wheels are now bolted so you can place them anywhere you like.
The aframe seems to be narrower also .... have to check a few.
WD has only been deemed necessary by the tow vehicle manufacturers very recently as in my F250 cant tow a BT(over 2500kg) without them legally. Now I know for a fact that my F250 is not unsafe without them as it is 6.25 metres long has a 500kg motor at the front and can tow 6000kg legal in the states. So until recently WD has been optional on all vans. Through accident research, magazines, van shows etc the public has now been educated about WD and wants it fitted for safety as do some manufacturers.

I agree with you about answering the issues but that is their choice and as I said before their doors are always open. Maybe they might agree to a liaison person between us and them but I think because of the spoken word to the liaison it could be open to misinterpretation or heresay and would have its difficulties.
I believe that BT are very aware of the group and as such the "system" if you like works very well. A case being Angie ..... after being in this group for some time you could ask her most questions about a BT, she could rattle off very informed educated answers and she has not even ordered her van yet. (Soon Angie ! Soon ! <smile>

Like most purchases its Caveat Emptor but the buyer has a great weapon .... the B.O.G.

Anthony

AnswerID: 558938

Our Sponsors