Satellite tv

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:33
ThreadID: 119958 Views:25305 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently installed satellite tv into my BT for less than $800. The pole and dish are easily stowed away. No more problems with limited choice of programs or poor reception.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:35

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:35
Don't just leave it at that, put all the details on for Anthony, he hasn't got one yet.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 558962

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:36

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:36
The items you will need in detail assuming you already have an idiot box in the BT : Standard pay-tv offset 60 cm dish and LNB 1.8 m alu. pole 45mm dia. jockey wheel clamp to hold pole 20m. RG6 cable with connectors to LNB and decoder/receiver digital decoder/receiver with CI CAM for card authorized or other kind of card or no card at all for FTA (free-to-air) programs AV cable to idiot box Once you have all this set up, you need to learn the art of pointing the dish at the B3 satellite. A $50 satellite finder is very useful although this satellite is relatively easy to locate. Satellite tv has been a hobby of mine for many years, I would be happy to advise anyone wanting to install such equipment.
AnswerID: 558963

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:37

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:37
I wish I had Dave around a year ago Brian as I've had a Campersat dish in BT since then.
Dave,
How do you get around the ABA rules about FTAir i.e. being in a remote area to receive it.
As a city dweller I'm supposed to get them to turn it on every weekend away. What a pain that would be. Nomad (Ernie & Kay) are visiting my place today and he is very keen to know more as is another mate of mine after we all saw the posts in the caravanners forum. I'll show them this thread.

What I am looking for is something to bring the cable in a little neater. Cable now comes in through cargo bay floor through a water proof cap I undo to pass cable in ... open up bedside door and bring cable up to tv. I'm mounting a terminal plate in the wall just above the foot locker to plug cable into.... Is there a flexible coax available to go from the plate to the tv something like a mic cord on a UHF ?

Anthony
AnswerID: 558964

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:38

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:38
G'day Dave,

Can you e-mail me your mobile phone number ....

anthony@gil.com.au

Regards
Anthony
AnswerID: 558965

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:39

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:39
We have an Abrolga satelite dish rig for sale . A great piece of kit and easy to set up too. We are giving up traveling after 3.5 fun years at it so our BT is up for sale too. Check out http://www.100free.com/linton for details of the dish We are on the Sunshine coast at the moment Linton and Jean
AnswerID: 558966

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:40

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:40
I am trying to make sense of this SatTV mess. I had a bid on a decoder box in ebay when I got the following warning from an onlooker. carefull mate these boxes will be useless very soon.. because the pay tv providers are changing their symbol rate. humax and nokia boxes will be obsolete. hope this helps I have asked him to elaborate what this all means as I have no idea. This posting is to warn fellow BOGers that there maybe traps out there waiting.
AnswerID: 558967

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:41

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:41
Here is a post that came from the Auscaravan forum I found informative. I have not bought a sat tv yet, but will when the new van arrives around September Original Poster Dr. W. Buckly Finding out information and gleaming the correct knowledge when you do not know much about a subject can be challenging and a little confronting. Some places I phoned I felt they preferred to speak to satellite hobbyists and did not really wish to deal with clean skins, and consequently they did not get our business. Some did not reply to e-mails and others did not bother to phone back when you left a message. Sorting out the conflicting information was another thing. I eventually settled on a place in Adelaide because they were helpful, told me the truth as I had already found out bits and pieces from other places. Globalsat Pty. Ltd.
31-35 Conmurra Ave Edwardstown SA 5039
Email: sales@globalsat.net.au
Tel: 08 8401 9802
Fax: 08 8277 6322 This is what I bought and what I paid UEC-910 receiver 5m cable with ends 65cm dish Standard LNB Satellite Finder Optus Aurora Card $ 502 inc GST + Freight if needed The freight was under $40. They dispatch the goods by Cope Sensitive Freight and assure me it is packed well. In our case we are only interested in the available Australian free to air reception. There are other satellites with foreign language content and sex TV. This would then require a larger dish, an electric satellite rotator and a different receiver. The other issue with the Aurora system if you have to phone Optus for product support they know exactly what to do for the UEC receiver as it is one of the approved receivers for their system. I also wanted the easiest system for us to operate with no unnecessary features to confuse you. The 65cm dish size is good for the region of Australia we predominantly visit. If we require a larger dish at a later date, the same LNB (the blob that receives the signal) is used with a 90cm dish. The 65cm dish was my choice due to ease of packing. For the period of time we may visit an area that is preferable to use a 90cm dish, we will either buy a 90cm dish or accept a picture that is not picture perfect. The 65cm dish comes with a 2" pipe clamp, and I will weld an additional jockey wheel clamp on the front and back of the van. I will make a simple rotator that can be locked into position. We never put down our wind down stands, but do on occasion put a stak-a-jak under the rear. If you do not do either you may find there is sufficient movement in the van to upset the signal and may be better with a tripod mount on the ground. Globalsat where one of 3 businesses I spoke to who advised against the flat dish. They advised me they were harder to setup when on the move and are made more for fixed installations so they can be painted or decorated to suit your decor and are unobtrusive. If you look at the Attisat website this view is confirmed. Interestingly the UEC DSD910 receiver is made in South Africa. Appears we do not make much in Australia today. This is the link for the UEC company and receiver http://www.uec.co.za/sa/products/DSD910.htm This is the link for the product manual for the UEC DSD910 receiver (4Mb) http://www.uec.co.za/sa/manuals/DSD910/MCA%20DSD%20910%20User%20Manual.pdf The TV channels and radio stations you can receive can be viewed here http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~shayneb/Satellite%20System.htm If any of the information is incorrect I accept full blame and responsibility as this is all new to me. I should have the system by latest Tuesday and will be happy to post back with a full report.
AnswerID: 558968

Our Sponsors