Row, Row, Row your Bote!

Submitted: Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:53
ThreadID: 119967 Views:6568 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
OK, here I go again. I've seen a couple of mentions of boats around the strings. Anyone got any opinions/experiences to share (crocodiles trying to come aboard your kayak in Kakadu; competing in the Henley-on-Todd in your Tinnie etc). Seriously investigating that fold up contraption that looks like a Malibu when stowed, but ends up a 12'x5' with a 2' rise when 'built' (see www.porta-bote.com ). I can just see it locked to the side of the BT, being used as a recovery craft when stranded by a flash flood on the other side of the river from the Pub. (One must always be mindful of techniques for accessing Emergency Supplies in any and all circumstances). Sun's over the Yard Arm Griff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:55

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:55
Griff,
There was a thread titled "Inflatable, tinnie, kayak or nothing?" (last reply date 11.15.2002) on the caravanners forum (http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum) which may be of some help. Especially as our Angie contributed. :-)
It didn't cover your fold-up one but I got the impression that a tinnie is seen as the minimum requirement for croc insurance.
AnswerID: 558979

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:56

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:56
At one stage I was looking for an inflatable so passed over the portabote. I took a peak at their web site and if you believe their blurb we all NEED one ! As far as crocs go I sat down and had a think about tinnie V croc V portabote. The reason crocs puncture a small tinnie is the sheet is rigid and the wall thickness is about 1.5mm .... imagine rounding off a slag hammer to resemble a croc tooth and whacking a tinnie it would puncture quite easily. Because of the portabote flexibility and hull wall (6mm polypropylene) trying to puncture the hull with the slag hammer would probably take a force greater than we could swing the hammer. I know a croc can exert great pressure with its jaw and both types might be in trouble with a 5metres of Qld's finest but I think the poly would be more resistant to puncture than a tinnie of the same length. You really need to talk to an owner for feedback. I'll keep an eye out for one as I'm interested in a boat for the kids when a little older. Did they scare you with prices ? The Aust. agent must be somewhere as I have seen these at boat shows ? Would be the ultimate if you could fit one of these under BT above chassis height in a long thin sheetmetal box .... not much room with water tanks under there .... Anthony
AnswerID: 558980

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:57

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:57
Anthony, I tracked down an agent - at Glenorie, NSW, 02 9652 0707 Fax 02 9652 0808 portableboat@ozemail.com.au Yes, expensive ($2790 for 3.7m), but I still think its a 'value' proposition. I've seen one second hand on a fishing forum site for under $900 (including sail). Worth hunting around for? Agent happy to bring one down to Roseville Bridge for a demo. Will probably take him up on the offer. Will have to leave it till we get back from our trip to the factory (on the 17/6/03) to do some arm wrestling on the design. Both Oars in the Water Griff
AnswerID: 558981

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:58

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:58
griff,
If Roseville happens, let me know and I may join you up the creek. The durability of the folding joins is probably the weak point. If they crack/degrade there's probably not much that can be done. Maybe that's why a used one drops to $900?
AnswerID: 558982

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:59

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:59
If I found myself in one of those things in water any deeper than my ankles I would contemplate growing wings and flying to safety. This is not a boat just a play thing. I've been around long enough to know that there are a lot of nasties swimming around just below your backside so get something serious or stay out of the water. I wonder how an insurance company would react if you fronted up minus a leg and wanted some money off them.

Nomad

AnswerID: 558983

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:00

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:00
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.
AnswerID: 558984

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:01

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:01
Kiwi, you're on! Always glad to have a second critical eye to check things out. Probably look at a couple of weekends time (after we return from BT Central). We'll organise the life-jackets & try it out with 1-4 aboard & see how it performs. By the way, what the heck happened to the Blacks the other night? I hear the Poms played a real spoiling game, & it was scrappy as anything & no tries scored, but the Poms had to be in your half to get the ball over the dot! Bodes well for a real stoush coming up in the next month or so. Imagine the possibility of the World Cup going to the Northern Hemisphere. Blasphemy! Commiserations Griff
AnswerID: 558985

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:02

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:02
This message has been deleted by the author.
AnswerID: 558986

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:03

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:03
Would anyone reccommend a tarpon boat up north where the croc abound?
AnswerID: 558987

Our Sponsors