advice on new van

Submitted: Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:13
ThreadID: 119998 Views:2495 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I have a Prado Turbo-diesel, and would love a bushtracker about 16 foot, without toilet/shower. We are a bit concerned about the Prado's ability to tow it, knowing that the B/tracker strength comes in part with a fair bit of weight. Is there much difference in weight going to 15 feet? Anyone out there with a similar vehicle, and a similar size B/Tracker? Any help would be appreciated. Gary and Gayle Wilson, Toowoomba
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:15

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:15
I have just returned from a trip with friends Terry & Rose who tow their 16ft BT with a 3lt turbo Patrol (Manual as manual has higher max towing capacity than Auto in Patrols) Their 16Ft BT I believe has a tare of 2100Kg and I think that a Prado has a tow capacity of 2500kg, so it doesn't leave much room for all the extra stuff BT owners like to carry. Terry has an outboard on drawbar and folding trailer on rear, not good for pitching dynanmics but it rights very good on all surfaces. Terry said his gross is up around the 3000kg with all his gear and water. I believe any tow vehicle with a tow capacity of 2500kg and ball weight of 250kg might be a little low for towing a BT. That is my opinion only. It may be necessary to upgrade tow vehicle.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559066

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:16

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:16
I thought the Prado T/Diesel had a tow rating of 3500kg/350kg ball ..... the petrol has a 2500kg/250kg ball limit ? What does it say in your owners manual Gazza ? Towing capacity aside the power is listed as 96kw and 343nm. The vehicle comes in around 2000kg .... giving around 5500kg in combination loaded. It might do the job ... just. It has a weight to torque ratio of 5.83kg to 1Nmetre, the mighty Cruiser has a ratio of 6.08 so is not that far removed from the Prado. Where you lose a little is the power to weight .... the Prado has to lug around 21kg for every Kilowatt ... the Cruiser has to carry only 17kg for every Kilowatt. It would be more forgiving in an auto version of course because of the ability to keep the turbo in the higher boost range. This is only my opinion but I believe the practical limit for this vehicle ... to maintain reasonable economy etc would be around the 2300 -2450kg mark. Keep the van around this and you should be fine ..... good road speed and economy. I estimate a BT without ensuite to be around 115kg per ft giving around 1840kg as delivered (tanks emptied) for a 16ft. That would give around 650kg of load give or take. My 18ft was 2400kg (tare)delivered (133kg per ft(tanks emptied) and has a ATM of 3000kg. Anthony
AnswerID: 559067

Our Sponsors