welcome back brian and margaret

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:53
ThreadID: 119999 Views:2689 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hey you two, welcome back. so the trip was good? full report and piccies for Angie? And how did the new beaut laptop guidance system go? Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:55

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:55
We had a great trip, but it was a little cold at night some of the time. Took lots of photos on digital cameras, even though it is a desert there is a lot to see and do out there. You will have to wait for photos. Drove out to Quilpie, went to Catholic church where they have a number of pieces of furniture with lots of Opals in them. Then out to Coopers Creek near Windorah where we stayed overnight and fished in river. In Windorah the Info centre is well worth a visit. We took the advise that locals give when driving on gibber rocks and reduced tyre pressure to 33 psi for F250 and BT and had no problem. Only puncture was a 1/4" bolt through rear van tyre while on bitumen near Quilpie. From there out to Birdsville, stayed by the windmill on the river in free camp area and went to Birdsville museum where owner gives a 45min tour and has lots of old memorabillia that is a MUST see. Went for a drive out to Big Red and managed to get to top in F250 with tyre pressure still 33psi, bit of wheel spinning though. The Birdsville track is in very good condition at the moment, and can be travelled in any 2WD vehicle, some of the time we were up to 100kph. Stopped in at Mungannie Hotel where they have traffic lights installed on the track outside and had a drink. The bar has lots of cowboy hats hanging from the roof, but the camp ground doesn't look too flash, so we drove about 30km south the Clayton wetlands where we found a hot spa bath (35C) flushing toilet, hot shower and fire pit. They ask for a donation and the spa was sooo goood we didn't mind the donation. It is a must stop for anyone on the Birdsville Track. At midnight we had 2 couples come in for a skinny dip spa that woke us all up. Futher south we enjoyed Farina ruins and stayed at the station camp ground $3.50 per person per night. After Leigh Creek we went into Beltana Historic township and had a look around before continuing on along that road to Warraweena station where they charge $10 per person to stay overnight. No problems taking BT into Warraweena but they are too big to take down into their camping areas, so we had to leave them near the shearers quarters where the shower and toilets are, and then go off on their 4WD tracks. Very picturesque country. It is a de-stocked sheep station since 1996 that is now run as a private sanctury and 4WD clubs go there to do some off road driving. Got a few scratches on F250 but it handled the tracks well. From there it was back to Leigh Creek for supplies then into the Gammon Ranges where we walked to Griswells hut, and then down to the Flinders Ranges where we camped out in various camp sites, where drop toilets are supplied. We then went into Wilpena Pound where powered site for 2 people is $22 per day. At Wilpena they have the largest solar panel setup to run the park, with deisel generator backup. It is the largest solar panel farm in Australia. Wilpena pound lookout walk was a good work out. The landscape and sunset/sunrises in the area is spectacular. In all the trip was very enjoyable with camp fires every night but other time restrainst ment that we couldn't stay longer. It is very cold in the desert and Flinders at this time of the year, so if you haven't got a desiel heater in van, make sure you have plenty of warm weather gear and hot water bottles for the girls to warm their feet on.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559068

Reply By: Wadefarers - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:56

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:56
Brian Noticed in your photos that you stayed in Brachina Gorge. Did you stay in the area with the fire places (2WD) or did you go up to the 4WD area? Just wondered where you went and the clearance for the BT. 4 years or so since we were there, maybe altzeimer's, but I can't remember how easy or hard to get in. We were tenting then so that may be the cause of the memory loss. Nice photos, we just really liked the place. Jeff
AnswerID: 559069

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:57

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:57
thanks brian for a great report and of course the yummy photos. some of the prices for staying in isolated spots seems a little high e.g. $10 per person at Warraweena station (similar to what you would pay at some caravan parks but without all the perks) but I guess it is usually offset by the BT's ability to take advantage of other freebie spots for camping. And of course what price can you put on the views? Angie
AnswerID: 559070

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:58

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:58
At Brachina Gorge we stayed in the 2WD section right at the back near the toilets. They were easy enough to get into and fairly flat. The 4WD section was in the river bed and I don't really like the idea of camping in river beds. The 2WD section on the river bank looked a lot better to us. While we were there we had light rain and 2 days after we left Wilpena Pound they had heavy rain that caused flood at Hawker, so you can't be too careful. It is a great place, with great scenery, but a bit warmer temperatures would have been nicer. I will have to remember to go there at a warmer time of the year next time. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559071

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:59

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:59
hey nice new picture touch to the homepage whoever did it. maybe we are starting to get enough pictures to change the picture at least every month. and of course there will be lots generated at cania gorge everyone! angie
AnswerID: 559072

Our Sponsors