Jockey wheel

Submitted: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:02
ThreadID: 120044 Views:2883 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have noticed a few have mentioned the jockey wheel and how useless it is. Of those of you who have had it filled, is it still fine and do you recommend this the way to go? Meg and J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andy1 - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:04

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:04
Meg & J We had our BT installed wheel filled with silicone, the tyre was then no problem but when we got up to a reasonable ball weight (above 250kg) it was obvious that the mechansim was not up to the task, we started to get signs of thread binding. Bit the bullet & purchased a Maco Mule Jockey Wheel on which we also had the wheel filled with silicone. All in all an expensive solution but really no option. I believe BT are looking at making the Maco Mule the standard. Andy
AnswerID: 559283

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:05

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:05
G'day Meg and J, My original wheel (al-ko) seized from thread binding. Also have a Maco Mule now with a solid filled tyre as well ..... no more problems. There was some concern that a BT would need a dual wheel but the single Maco is rated at 1016kg so most BTs will only load it about 1/3rd. The single is more than ample. I believe you can beef up the al-ko a little by fitting a quality bearing that takes the load better ..... located in the tube just under the winding handle. If the thread is galled though ..... better to go with the Maco. Nomad might be shed some light on the bearing change. Mine has been tossed in the corner of the shed waiting repair so I can use it on my box trailer. Anthony
AnswerID: 559284

Our Sponsors