Extended A-frame

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:08
ThreadID: 120063 Views:2396 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Here's a thought... usually people only consider getting the extended A-frame if there is a specific need (eg they have extra jerry can holders, or carry racks or soemthing). But I think there is another good reason - despite the extra length, you can make a much tighter turn (eg when you find youself up a dead-end) without the frame or corner of the stoneguard threatening the rear of the car. That's because the extended A-frame is, by definition, narrower at any measured distance from the tow vehicle, than is the normal A-frame. I have had a couple of occasions where I have turned out of a difficult spot on virtually full lock, and I'm sure I couldn't do it with the normal A-frame. Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:10

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:10
While I was out around Birdsville we found One DISAVANTAGE of extended A-Frame. Our van has the standard A-frame while Terry's had the extended A-frame. Travelling on the same roads at the same speed we found that with the longer A-Frame the stone guard mesh frame is further from the tow vehicle and this allowed more stones to go above the screen and hit Terry's van then hit ours. Very few if any hit the front of our van, but Terry had a lot of stone marks. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559375

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:11

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:11
I agree Phil, I ordered the extended a-frame with nothing attached initially because its slightly less reactive when backing. I'm now so glad I did, I never thought I'd be fitting bike racks at the time or a genny box (in the future). If I had the normal a-frame I couldnt do both and miss the tailgate near full lock. At least I have that option because of the extended a-frame. I wonder what the ratio is ....... I think everyone would mostly order the extended ? Anthony
AnswerID: 559376

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:12

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:12
Brian, You had mentioned that before .... very interesting !!! Do you think the longer overhang of the F250 verses his Patrol (I think) gave the rocks a lower trajectory ???? Anyone towed with an F250 and extended frame and rec'd dents on the front ??? Anthony
AnswerID: 559377

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:13

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:13
I would have thought the longer the A frame and hence the distance between the back wheels and the van wheels would make the turning circle greater ie you have to go wider to allow clearance for van tracking inward of the vehicle This is certainly a big disadvantage when winding and wending among trees. What you pick up on the swing you lose on the roundabout. I have a normal A frame and have moved the stone shield forward appox 350mm. Behind this is a large toolbox next to a small twintub washing machine and I can go on full lock in the Patrol no problems. Long A frames look a bit out of proportion to me. We like to get to those out of the way places and the bigger your rig the less chance on being able to do it.

Ernie

AnswerID: 559378

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:14

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:14
A twin tub on the A-frame !!! Can I bring my socks and jocks over at Cania ? Lets see .... I can swap two cappuccinos and a slice or three of damper (with jam) for one cold wash and a good spin !!!! [guesswhosmumsgotawhirlpoolgrin] Anthony
AnswerID: 559379

Our Sponsors