Air bag bump stops

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:31
ThreadID: 120079 Views:2906 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted air bag bump stops to their F250. Polyair (?) have a kit for the front and rear axles. Air pressure can be varied for different load and terain conditions. Any comments. Vidas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:33

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:33
Can't comment about F250 sorry, but I have airbags fitted to rear of Landcruiser. These are the Firestone Coilrite supplied by the airbag man http://www.airbagman.com.au/ This is not as sophisticated as replacing the springs completely with full bags, but on the other hand, it means you still have the original springs intact as backup should a bag fail. (I am not sure if airbags can be fitted to the front (as the diesel turbo has independent front end) suspension as I have not researched it. I generally run the bags at about 25 psi (max. recommended 30 psi) and this gives me about 5-6" extra lift, plus smoother ride. This setting suits me fine whether I am towing or not, so I rarely adjust the pressure other than to periodically check it. I know you can can get in-car pressure gauges and also an onboard air pump to control deflation/inflation from the cabin, but I went for simplicty and just have air valves attached directly to the rear bar for use of an external air pump - I previously had an HSV Wagon with the full gauges and onboard pump and it was a pain - the extra complexity means lots more connectors/valves and junctions and so there is a much great chance of a leak somewhere. My HSV had a slow leak (enough to totally deflate over 24 hours) and it took 4 trips to the dealer, plus random replacment of lines to finally locate where it was. In contrast. my setup has only the connection at each bag, and then the connection at the inlet valve (ie 4 connections in total). Each bag is independent (ie separate valve and air line for each), again to eleiminate T-junctions even though the installer would usually set it up with just one valve to inflate both bags simultaneously (that would require 6 connection points). Also, with this latter setup, if you happened to get a damaged bag, both would deflate and it would be slightly more difficult to isolate the fault. Phil
AnswerID: 559425

Our Sponsors