Van Security

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 00:46
ThreadID: 120085 Views:2758 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Some caravane parks are frequented by thieves. Dick Smith supplies a battery operated remote sensing alarm for about $70. These alarms could be useful particularly in the current high tech vans if someone enters the van and you, or others, are close enough to hear the alarm. Dusky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 00:48

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 00:48
There was some discussion earlier about the possibility that a would-be thief might use a knife to slice open the plastic hinge on the hatch doors. I took this to heart and have installed two butt hinges on each door, riveted into place. I marked the periphery of the hinge and used a 4" grinder (very delicately) to grind off the external part of the plastice hinge, down to the checker plate. I also ground the checker plate ribs down to a level surface. Took me about 45 minutes per hinge. I know it isn't the full solution, but it may deter a casual thief with a stanley knife. Len
AnswerID: 559459

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 00:49

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 00:49
G'day Len, That fixes the achilles heel ...... Griff and myself looked at my door and came up with an angle attached to the door frame(inside hinge end) so that when the door is closed it just touches the internal wall 50mm up or so ..... post a pic when either of us get it done ...... we were both on the same track but I'm waiting for Griff to refine and test it !!! [wink] Anthony
AnswerID: 559460

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 00:50

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 00:50
If you fellas had seen what the thieves did to our house-safe you wouldn't bother with any modifications and they used all my own tools to do the job. I would rather go down the electronic alarm path with heaps of stickers as we have done on our house. Ernie
AnswerID: 559461

Our Sponsors