Solar Panels

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:51
ThreadID: 120087 Views:7140 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. More potential blasphemy coming up, but I can't help myself. Has anyone any experience with solar panels other than the recommended Kyoceras? I am thinking in terms of the 64w Uni-Solar's. On first glance the Kyocera would seem to have double the output, but in semi shade &/or high ambient temperature (30 deg plus) I have this sneaking suspicion that the real world output may be equivalent or superior from the amorphous type. I also have my doubts about the performance of the Prostar/Morningstar in one respect - that is, it's ability to handle battery overheating when charging. The talk in the trade would suggest their temp sensor/control response is not up to snuff. Any feedback? Griff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:53

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:53
Hi Griff, I had to replace the original Prostar, was very dodgy. I am somewhat sceptical of the new one, seems to be erratic. Flashing red at 13 volts plus and the like. When I get to west oz am taking it to the importers foran overhaul or replacement. I have a portable set of BP solar cells, 160 watts. Still microcrystaine like the Kyoceas but certainly put out the power. I too have wondered about the amorphous cells. John
AnswerID: 559468

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:54

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:54
Griff

The Kyocera '120 watt' modules will develop a tad over 90 watts - at 12.8 volts and an ambient about 5 degrees C (i.e. cell temperature about 25 degrees C). Output is likely to reduce by about 0.4% - 0.5% per degree C above that. This is fairly typical of mono and polycrystalline technology. They can develop closer to their '120-watts' but only into a close to 17-volt load.

Unisolar 64 watt modules develop about 55 watts almost regardless of temperature - they increase output slightly with heat.

The Kyocera and other recent such modules are very much smaller than Unisolar - the 120 watt Kyo is much the same size as the 64 watt Unisolar.

The obvious choice may seem to be Uni-solar but remember the benefit is gained mostly in places like the Kimberley - where it's hot a fair part of the time.

The above is not conjecture - the data is revealed by the respective makers. Further, I have a number of 84-watt mono and poly modules - plus 30 Uni-Solar with output recorded for all of them over four years. Here (Broome), a 64 watt Uni-Solar develops the same as an 84- watt anything else most of the year round - but as I say they are a lot bigger. That's why I have Unisolar for my big home system - and Solarex on the roof of my OKA.
Prefer not to comment re regulator - except my preference is for Plasmatronic.
Collyn
AnswerID: 559469

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:55

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:55
Collyn, Griff and myself were talking solar recently and we came to the conclusion that ... well because of BT space restrictions ( 4 seasons hatch and Aircon), you could fit 2 x 120w kyocera panels and 2 x 64w unisolar to the BT as a compromise ..... Lateral thinking or are we two turkeys with xmas round the corner !!!! [stuffedgrin] Anthony
AnswerID: 559470

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:56

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:56
Anthony

Two by 120 Kyocera and two by 64 UniSolar sounds an excellent solution - the better shadow tolerance of the latter will assist too.
Collyn
AnswerID: 559471

Our Sponsors