cksPre Flight Ch

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:55
ThreadID: 120091 Views:1969 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
During van checking for Cania trip I undid the trailer plug on the van and found a lot of corrosion damage due to water ingress. Have a look at the attatched pic. One of the terminal screws is so badly corroded it will have to be replaced or even the whole plug. Will make sure I keep the water out of it in the future Ernie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:57

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:57
Not pretty. As you'll have to replace anyway, this may be a solution worth thinking about. Have a look at the p12 plug on www.bcaaust.com.au Good luck Griff
AnswerID: 559483

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:58

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:58
Thanks Griff, will certainly have a look at it. I wonder if it could also be used for the AV connexion to a rear view camera. I am heading in that direction and have the LCD monitor and will shortly have the camera. Should get out of it for around $300 all up with me installing it. The problem with using a new type of plug setup is the compatibility factor when needing to tow with another vehicle. Always a compromise I suppose. This unit looks very nice and would certainly do the job. I have sometimes installed a selection of sockets on the rear end but how far do you go? We will be in BNE after Cania so I will see if I can find one there. Over to you Anthony, any ideas?

Ernie

AnswerID: 559484

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:59

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:59
Yep, you can certainly put the camera through it. Thats what I've done on my 12 pin plug. I ended up opting for the 12 pin as they are also compatible with the standard 7 pins used on box trailers etc. Came across this p12 after I specified mine, so you would have to check on cross-compatability. Regs Griff
AnswerID: 559485

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:00

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:00
PS ... of course plenty of adaptors coming on the scene. Better than multiple permanent connectors - pop into Opposit Lock or Megastores when you run into a new one Griff
AnswerID: 559486

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:01

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:01
Ernie, I laboured long over the van/vehicle connector .... I even checked out semi-trailer connectors for tri-axles/ B-doubles. I've come to the conclusion that the are all made to a price and therefore a bit average. I was even going to make my own as the train builder/fitter/engineer you'll meet was turning polyurethane on a 6ft bed lathe at the time and I had a silly notion of turning some to mount in an ally cylinder as the plug. The crazy ideas we have huh !!!!!! [smile] To this day I still have my BT fitted one ..... rewired and better protected from cable pull of course !!! I do like that BSA ? ... one. I think they all suffer from corrosion though (electrolysis) but I'm having good results with Lanotec Coating. This is being used to coat marine radar/vhf/sounder/gps circuit boards (props and ally hulls also) to protect them from the salt atmosphere. Great for the chequerplate also .... Anthony
AnswerID: 559487

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:02

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:02
Had the same problem with corrosion and had to change the plug for dad b4 the annual migration north last week. We opted for a heavy duty plastic version of the standard BT plug. We found the plastic one seated better in the socket than the metal one. I advise all boggers to cheak their plug ASAP as we came across the problem after an intermitant fault with the lights. Be careful when cheaking or changing the plug as there is voltage from the battery present.
AnswerID: 559488

Our Sponsors