Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:27
ThreadID: 120104 Views:2497 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, Just found this site. Have been keen on purchasing a Bushtracker for a number of years, possible an 18'. Had a tour of the factory and was very impressed. Decisions!!!!!!! New 4.8 L Patrol or upgrade 1994 4.2L EFI Patrol? Very exciting time planning the setup. We live in East Arnhem Land (Paradise) and plan to up root and travel Aus for a few years. Hope to gather info and ideas from this site. Julie & Ulrich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:29

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:29
Hi Julie and Ulrich, welcome aboard. I am sure when some of our regular members get back from the big party at Cania Gorge they will have some comments to make about the tow vehicle. In the meantime catch up on the reading, look at the photos, change the desktop background to different Bushtrackers every week and keep dreaming. We have only 328 days to go until we start our dream lifestyle and this forum just helps keep that alive. Angie
AnswerID: 559550

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:30

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:30
Hi Julie & Ulrich, welcome to the site. You won't be sorry if you buy a Bushtracker, everyone that I know that has one loves it. Before you buy the Patrol 4800 petrol have a talk to a few people who have one and tow with it. Friends of mine who have a BT and were towing with 4800 patrol sold it because the fuel bill was TOO high and bought a diesel. The 4800 Patrol has lots of power and will do the job well so long as the cost of fuel is not too high for you. Brian & Margaret towing 21Ft BT with F250 7.3Lt turbo Diesel and getting 20lts/100Km.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559551

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:31

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:31
G'day Julie and Ulrich, We use a 4.2 tubo diesel patrol to tow. The whole rig weighs about 6000 kg and the Patrol is fine. However I would be checking out the Ford F series option if I were to be starting again. I like the idea of a V8, it would have to be diesel and I am not sure if the Fords come in diesel. Don't get too big a caravan, too difficult to manouvre on tight tracks. Ours is 14'. A 16' one would be ideal. Have a happy. John
AnswerID: 559552

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:32

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:32
I think it is horses for courses. If you are going to travel on really remote and tight tracks between trees etc then a small van is probably the most suitable as John has said. If you are intending to travel mostly on outback areas where there are wide open spaces and not many tight area, then you can go for the longer vans that give you all the creature comforts of home. A BOG member at Cania Gorge rally is about to sell his 23ft van and BT are building him a 28ft van with 6 wheels. The 23ft van has travelled to many remote places throughout Australia without any problems so you just have to decide on what comforts you want and how much money you are prepared to spend. Most of the BOG group at Cania said that they wouldn't be without their inside shower and toilet which is not really practical in the smaller vans. The F250 comes with a 7.3lt V8 Intercooled turbo diesel with 684 neutons torque which is much more than any of the other tow vehicles around. Its only problem is the large turning circle, but with a van on you cannot turn too quickly anyway. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559553

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:33

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:33
Thank you for feedback on Patrol 4800, if anyone has actual fuel consumption figures would be muchly appreciated. In my opinion the F250 would be the pick of the crop for towing a Bushtracker.We do a lot of bushbashing/off roading up here in Arnhemland and our GQ Patrol barely squeezes down some of the tracks.to whitefella dreaming :) so the F-series are a bit on the large side. We are hoping Nissan do release a bigger Turbo-Diesel that can compete with the Toyota Turbo-Diesel. Must go now, boat hooked up Barra are a waitin :) Julie & Ulrich
AnswerID: 559554

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:34

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:34
Hi Dreamin' Just watch your van weight if you go for an auto Patrol (you didn't say). Legal tow ratings differ between manual & auto. Happy haulin Griff
AnswerID: 559555

Our Sponsors