Brake Controllers

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:23
ThreadID: 120118 Views:2960 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, We have our cruiser going in for a brake controller to be fitted this week and wondered what model you recommend and where best to fit the unit. We have a well optioned 16' BT on order which we collect at the end of October.......... For a pair of rookies like us this site is proving invaluable and the hints and tips picked up so far will help a lot when we collect the van, as we are taking off from BTI on a two year trip. For this Den and I thank you. Regards Linda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:25

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:25
We have a Tekonsha Prodigy fitted. It's the top of the line Tekonsha controller. It's electronic and provides a couple of great features for van towing. Firstly, the abliity to preset a "boost" level for the van brakes. This is a level of power applied to the brakes when you initially touch the brake pedal. This level is variable and can be set to suit the weight of the van. The second feature (in my opinion) is the ease of use of the manual brake override. This allows you to apply the van brakes easily and progressively without applying the brakes on the towing vehicle. Great for straightening things up or keeping things straight on say, long, steep hill descents. I would suggest that the controller be fitted in a place where you can easily use the manual control without changing driving position or taking your eyes off the road. I have mine just to the left of the steering column and just under the dash binnacle. One word of advice. The Tekonsha has a digital display which amongst other things, showsa "C" when everything is connected and working properly. When we collected our BT and hitched up, this "C" wasn't showing. Alan, the electrician at BT, found the problem. BT are fitting a diode in the van plug which is designed to switch on the brake lights in the event that the van braeks loose from the tow vehicle and the brake actuator is set. We figured that if the van breaks loose, the last thing anyone will be looking at is the brake lights, so we had this diode removed and the controller now shows "C" when all is well. I know other BT owners also have Prodigys and are very happy with them. Good luck.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559636

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:26

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:26
After towing vans with different brake controllers, I did the same as Peter and fitted a Prodigy to my cruiser. After towing with it for 6000 klm, I would have to say that this is certainly the best controller that I have used. Paul.
AnswerID: 559637

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:27

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:27
We also have the Prodigy, it is by far the best of the 3 types that I have had. If you like to go back through the topics for the last couple of months you will find another thread on brake controllers. The prodigy is digital and costs about $330 but it is money well spent when you consider that that little device might be all that is protecting you from disarster if things suddenly go wrong. You are getting the best van, get the best brake controller to go with it. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559638

Our Sponsors